Students compete at Math Prize for Girls at MIT

Picasa
A sign with the Math Prize for Girls logo along with an MIT banner are displayed on stage during the competition. The contest was held at MIT, and many MIT professors spoke to participants during the awards ceremony.

On Saturday, September 22, four Upper School students including this reporter, Nitya Mani (10), Suzy Lou (10), and Lynda Tang (12) participated in the annual Math Prize for Girls competition at MIT.

Around 270 high school and middle school girls traveled from around the country and even from Canada to participate in the math contest, hosted by the Advantage Testing Foundation. Participants were invited to compete based on their performance on the AMC math contests. Nitya, Suzy, and Cindy all received honorable mention awards at the competition.

The Math Prize for Girls consists of 20 questions attempted over a period of two and a half hours. The competition aims to both challenge and encourage girls to pursue math. Contestants felt that the Math Prize for Girls was a motivating experience, as one of the few competitions exclusive to girls, and an event that they would encourage others to join.

“It’s a really nice experience for girls to know that you’re not the only one, despite how it might feel. You can meet with people who are like you and who like math,” Nitya said. “It’s not just about winning; it’s a really fun opportunity and you get to meet people you never would have met before who are very similar to you.”

In addition to the actual test, the competition also held a two hour ceremony with various performances and speakers that ended with awards for the contest. The keynote speaker was Dr. Esther Duflo, a professor of economics at MIT and renowned female economist. The program opened with performances by the MIT Logarhythms and the MIT Cheerleading Squad. Following were representatives from the Advantage Testing Foundation, who explained their organization and the goal behind the Math Prize for Girls. Then, the 2011 Math Prize Olympiad Medalists were honored on stage, followed by other speakers, including MIT professors and Dr. Stephen Wolfram, the creator of Wolfram Research and Mathematica.

Students thought the presentations were helpful in broadening their views of the use of math in various modern, real-life situations.

“The presentations show you how applied math can actually work in very different scenarios that are a bit of a reach from what you consider math to be,” Lynda said.

At the end of the ceremony, honorable mention awards were given, and the top ten performers were then called up on stage for the tiebreaker round, consisting of solving problems in as little time as possible in order to finalize the top ten rankings. Finally, the top ten participants were awarded trophies along with cash prizes ranging from $1000 to $25000.

Besides giving prizes, the competition also encourages girls to continue pursuing math and science by showing the wide range of possibilities of study and research.

“Usually when I do math, it’s just for fun, so I kind of had the perspective that math wasn’t that useful. The presentations were really inspirational because I saw how useful math actually is,” Suzy said.

Participants who received an honorable mention or top ten award were given a $500 scholarship to the USA or Canada MathCamp, a summer math program. In addition, these students are invited to compete in the Math Prize Olympiad, a proof based contest held later in the year.