First ever Topic Talk with teachers organized by Public Forum debate team

Teachers Dr. Matthew Harley, Robbie Korin, Dr. Mala Raghavan, and Daniel Ajerman answer questions that debate students have about the October Topic, which centers on effects of climate change. Wednesday’s Topic Talk was the first ever discussion for debate involving teachers at the Upper School.

On Wednesday, September 12, the Public Forum debate team held its first ever Topic Talk with teachers. The Talk consisted of a panel of teachers who answered questions that the debaters had about a central topic.

The Talk was focused on the October topic to give the students a chance to prepare for their upcoming tournaments. The October topic, as determined by the National Forensics’ League is “Resolved: Developed countries have a moral obligation to mitigate the effects of climate change.”

As the first ever discussion for debate involving teachers, the Talk was planned by the Team Development Committee, consisting of team captains Maneesha Panja (11), Varun Gudapati (12), and Pranav Sharma (12).

“Last year, we had this topic talk that some other kids from last year started where they talked about arguments, [but no teachers were involved],” Maneesha said. “I realized that the thing that helped for me was if I talked to experts about it. I knew that all these teachers know a lot about the topic, and that’s why I thought if we invited them all in together and had kids ask them questions, it would be good.”

Teachers on the panel included Daniel Ajerman, Dr. Mala Raghavan, Dr. Matthew Harley, Robbie Korin, and Daniel Hudkins, many of whom teach either biology or chemistry.

“I decided to participate because I used to teach environmental science, so I’m interested in the topic, and I just wanted to help out,” chemistry teacher Korin said.

About 10 to 15 students participated in the Talk, a number that was not surprising to the organizers.

“I expected […] the numbers that we got. I know we scheduled it around Club Fair, which we’re probably going to try and change next time.” Maneesha said. “I would probably expect more turn out for the November topic because half of the team is debating that topic, [compared to about 15 debating October’s].”

Students who attended ranged from freshmen hoping to compete in their first debate in October to seniors who are beginning their fourth year. Sophomore Vamsi Gadiraju wanted to get a head start in his preparation for an upcoming tournament.

“I thought it would really help to get a better view of the topic as a whole from the teachers of chemistry [since] us students don’t have as broad of basics [about the subject] as they do,” he said.

The Team Development Committee hopes to hold one or two Talks per month this year.