Photojournalist shares his work with students, faculty, and friends

Harry Hamburg, a retired photojournalist, presented a variety of his works and a photo slideshow of his recent trip to Africa in the Nichols Auditorium on Friday, March 2, during first lunch.

Hamburg is a requested celebrity photographer, and has spent the last 15 years as a “first stand photographer based in the Washington Bureau, covering Capital Hill and the White House,” according to close friend Patricia Berry.

He is currently a contract photographer covering the Senate and the House of Representatives for the Associated Press on an as-needed basis as a retirement job.

A former photographer for the New York Daily News, Hamburg currently splits his time living in Washington DC and London, England.

In celebration of Dr. Seuss’s birthday, Hamburg wore all blue as a reflection of his whimsical personality.

Hamburg briefly described the background of each photo in his presentation; some had a similar formality as that of George Bush announcing the tragedy of 9/11, while others were simply unique shots of carefree moments, such as a dog walking on the beach.

To conclude his talk, Hamburg compiled a photo slideshow of his recent travel to Africa with the Mortlocks. Photos include those of the picturesque scenery, abundant wildlife, and African children.

Although he attended because his project was based on the talk, David Lin (9) found it to be worthwhile.

“I thought it was really interesting because he had a lot of photos from a lot of different areas,” he said.

Later in the day, Hamburg was the key note speaker of the Quill and Scroll International Honor Society induction ceremony, where he shared some of his photos and spoke on his experience in the industry.

When describing the aspect of travelling alongside Presidents such as Clinton and Carter in his career, he emphasized the importance of maintaining those lasting relationships.

“It’s not who you know, but who knows you,” he said.