Varsity girls basketball scrimmages against Santa Cruz High School

Ashley Jiang

Selin Sayiner (12) shoots a free throw during the scrimmage against Santa Cruz High School. The score was reset after each quarter.

by Sara Yen, Reporter

The varsity girls basketball team played against the Cardinals of Santa Cruz High School in a preseason scrimmage on Friday. After each quarter, the score was reset to 0-0.

Right off the bat, Santa Cruz’s quick offense and hard passes scored them the first shot of the game. Despite the Cardinals’ aggressive play, the Eagles’ tight defense contested shots and intercepted multiple passes.

Harker coach Dan Pringle called the first timeout of the scrimmage when the opponent took a small lead with 6-5.

Back and forth, Harker and Santa Cruz struggled to score off each other for much of the first quarter.

Even when Harker was behind at the end of the quarter, school spirit continued to soar high as the Eagles cheered on their teammates from the bench and students and parents shouted atop the bleachers.

Although Santa Cruz was the first to score in the second quarter, Harker later took the lead 8-5. Fighting back, the Cardinals tied the score 8-8, with the intensity of the scrimmage rising.

With the end of the quarter near, Harker caught multiple rebounds and Selin Sayiner (12) drove down the court and shot a three-pointer, making the score 11-8 with the Eagles leading. Sailing through the air with time running out, the ball swished through the net and Satchi Thockchom (12) made a three-pointer that just beat the buzzer signifying the end of the second quarter, with Harker in the lead 14-8.

Santa Cruz led 6-2 in the beginning of the third quarter. After Harker’s rapid passing, the ball landed in the hands of Maria Vazhaeparambil (9), who shot a three-pointer and made the score 8-5, the Cardinals still in the lead.

Players from both teams made quick bursts to the basket, only to be blocked by the opponent. The third quarter ended 12-10 with Santa Cruz in the lead.

Harker dominated the last quarter of the scrimmage, starting off strong with an 8-0 lead. The Cardinals scored a couple of shots, but the Eagles countered with a three-pointer, making the score 11-4 with Harker leading.

With a minute left on the clock, the Eagles were up 14-9. Santa Cruz responded to Harker by scoring and raised the score to 14-11. It was anyone’s game at the end of the fourth quarter, but the Eagles stayed determined and finished in the lead 17-11.

“They’re bringing it. They’re getting it,” Pringle said after the game. “Up tempo, they played together as a team, and they worked real hard. It was an excellent scrimmage.”

Player Allison Yen (10) was excited to play with the team for the upcoming season.

“I’m really looking forward to having fun with the team and I think if we continue working hard and hustling on the court, I think we’ll be set for the season,” Allison said.

The varsity girls basketball team will play their next non-conference home game against Santa Clara on Nov. 22 at 3:30 p.m.