New parking procedures adopted: Administration pushes forward new campus traffic policies as a result of construction

The+inside+of+the+gym%2Ftheater+can+be+seen+through+the+digital+rendering.+To+accommodate+for+its+construction%2C+teams+can+no+longer+practice+on+Rosenthal+field+or+utilize+the+nearby+locker+rooms.+

provided by Kevin Hart

The inside of the gym/theater can be seen through the digital rendering. To accommodate for its construction, teams can no longer practice on Rosenthal field or utilize the nearby locker rooms.

by Sahana Srinivasan, Winged Post Managing Editor

Due to campus construction, the administration has implemented several new measures to regulate campus traffic flow and to aid students and faculty without parking spots, including an increased number of intercampus shuttles and detailed guidelines for drop-off and pickup.

In the mornings, parents must drive through the school and around the construction site for drop-off, and the school recommends taking advantage of the parking lot on Kiely Boulevard in the afternoon.

“That’s a great place that’s two minutes away from school [for parents] to just wait and hang out,” Assistant Head of School Greg Lawson said. “The Lion’s Center is not really a good place to do that. They’re pretty watchful of our overflow traffic, and it’s also a much busier place in the afternoon to hang out.”

A section of parking at the Blackford campus has been set aside for students driving themselves. Currently, although students do not have to sign up for a parking spot, they must register their car with the school.

In the future, the administration may turn to the School Pass application, already in use by the middle and lower schools, to ensure that there are enough shuttles available to transport all drivers.

The rendering shows how the interior layout of the new center is planned to turn out. While construction for the performing arts center takes place, the instrumental program temporarily rehearses in the current gym.
provided by Kevin Hart

“Anybody that wants to give feedback about the process or the timetables or anything like that, please feel free to let me know,” Lawson said of the current transportation logistics.

There will also be vans waiting at the middle and upper schools to help students who may, for example, need to leave campus in the middle of the academic day for an appointment or who need to access their car after school when a shuttle is unavailable.

Lawson emphasized student safety and awareness while at the middle school.

“Be safe. Mind the speed limit in the parking lot at Blackford. Be a good pedestrian. Take care; we want you to be safe,” Lawson said. “I really want to say thanks to every student that’s trying to utilize any different mode of travel here to school. We really do appreciate it because it’s going to be an interesting challenge, and we’ve got about 18 months to live with it, and we’re all in this together.”

Lawson hopes that the parking lot will be available again by the second semester of the 2017-2018 school year, when the performing arts building is currently scheduled to finish construction.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on August 26, 2016.