Junior class elections: Students vote for next year’s leaders

Junior Kenneth Zhang, who is running for spirit coordinator for the second year in a row, recites his speech. Students assembled in the Nichols auditorium to listen to their classmates speak.

Candidates for the junior class student council gave speeches to their peers yesterday and today.

Contenders include Kevin Mohanram and Kenneth Zhang for Spirit Coordinator; Samir Chaudhry, Krish Sanghi, and Adithram Rengaramchandran for Treasurer; Adarsh Battu, Ravi Bhandia, Jerry Shen, and Shreyas Parthasarathy for Secretary; Kilian Burke, Julia Fink, Sravan Rajathilak, and Dora Tzeng for Vice President; Wei Wei Buchsteiner and Jithin Vellian for President.

The candidates did not run against current junior officers, Vincent Lin, Rohith Bhethanabotla, Sahithya Prakash, and Arjun Goyal, who will serve as next year’s ASB council.

Most juniors expressed their desire for a class council that will motivate them to participate more during spirit events.

“I think the number one thing is leading our class in spirit and getting us motivated,” Renu Singh (11) said. “A good candidate is a person who will get the class doing things and someone that people will follow.”

Recognizing his classmates’ need for an enthusiastic officer, presidential candidate Jithin emphasized in his light-hearted speech that he could “lead the class to victory” and vowed to “never stop talking for [the] class.”

Because candidates expressed similar goals such as customizing the sledge and making sure that 2014’s senior gift is special, many juniors felt that voting will be a difficult process mainly because they are unsure of who has the right intentions for their class.

“There were a lot of candidates, and it was hard to tell who really had our class’ best interest in mind instead of other personal reasons,” Srikar Pyda (11) said. “But, I am sure that whoever ends up winning will do just that.”

Elections for the 2013-2014 senior class student council will be held tomorrow in the journalism room during both lunches.