HOSCARS Talent Show provides entertaining break

Donning colorful wigs and blue feather boas, Spenser Quash (12), JP Doherty (12), Sean Pan (11), and Nikhil Panu (12) lead the boys basketball team in their rendition of Beyonce’s “Single Ladies.” The panel of judges selected the Varsity team’s performance as Best Overall Act.

The crowd cheered and whistled as the Varsity boys basketball team took to the stage with a small introductory skit, only to erupt into roars as the first beats of “Single Ladies” filled the gym.

Sporting jerseys tucked into shorts, the boys strutted their way across the stage in a display of their teamwork. On March 28, the Varsity basketball team and 13 other acts ranging from vocal to dance performances showed off their talents in the third annual HOSCARS assembly hosted by seniors Nikhil Panu and Bobby Kahlon.

The first 11 HOSCARS performances took place before the combined lunch period, while the remaining three acts occurred later in the day after seventh period. Several students agreed that the splitting of the assembly was a good idea as the number of acts had increased compared to last year.

“I think people can be more attentive, and by having the split, people would anticipate the rest,” Samali Sahoo (9) said.

Furthermore, many believed that the performances this year channeled a balance of emotion and entertainment that allowed the audience to connect with fellow members of the community onstage.

“It was nice how they switched between comedic acts and emotional ones, so that it wasn’t too much at once,” Jasmine Liu (9) said.

Among the emotional vocal acts that students acknowledged were freshman Gwen Howard’s rendition of Jessie J “Who You Are” and junior Kimberly Ma’s song, which she dedicated to a close friend who had passed away 10 years ago.

“I am very grateful the school has [the Hoscars],” Kimberly said. “I saw some people crying, and it gave me this very complicated feeling, but I’m happy that they felt what I was feeling.”

The HOSCARS also consisted of more light hearted acts including a series of K-pop dances by the Asian Pop Dance Crew.

“I thought it was entertaining and a great break from everyday school life,” Alex Tuharsky (10) said.

The HOSCARS ended with MC’s Nikhil and Bobby handing out awards to performers selected by a panel of student and teacher judges. The boys basketball team received a trophy for Best Overall Act; juniors Preethi Periyakoil, Claudia Tischler, and Christine Lee for Best Instrumental Act; Kimberly and Christine for Best Multicultural Act; Gwen for Best Vocal Act; Erik Andersen (12) for Most Creative Act; and the Asian Pop Dance Crew for Best Dance Act.