Drop in dress-up: Students show lack of support for Multicultural Day

On the last day of Global Empowerment and Outreach (GEO) club week, less than 10 percent of the students participated in the theme: multicultural dress-up.

Those who chose to dress up represented their country by displaying it to others at school.

Various cultures were represented including Hawaiian, Indian, Judaism, and many more. Students were able to check in their costumes during lunch at the GEO booth and enter a raffle for gift cards.

GEO Club President Amie Chien (12) expressed that she was disappointed in the lack of student participation.

“I think it’s because it was a Friday and we didn’t really have time in between to make announcements,” she said.

Spanish teacher Abel Olivas echoed a similar thought regarding the decrease from last year in participation.

“Somehow I feel like it’s not on our radar as much. It used to be very clear like this week is multicultural week,” he said. “It’s easy for something to get put on the back burner for you if especially it’s not quite brought to your attention as it used to be.”

The students who dressed up wanted to proudly exhibit their respective cultures while still having a fun time wearing traditional clothes.

“I’m really proud of my culture and I want to tell and show people about it,” Anna Levine (11) said, representing Judaism.

Sophomore Jai Ahuja, who dresses up every year, decided to participate because he feels that it is important to embrace his culture.

“My grandparents are from [North India] and they really like to see me represent my culture,” he said.

Unlike Jai, freshman Sanil Rajput decided not to dress up because he did not have any clothing appropriate to wear to school.

As a member of the GEO club, Jenny Chen (12) took this day as an opportunity to represent her Chinese background.

“I think it’s just nice to have one day to celebrate the multiculture inside Harker,” she said.
Next Thursday, GEO’s cultural show and HOSCARs will be held as a combined talent show.