Schedule accommodates club meetings

During club period, Spirit Club led by Andre Tran (12) meets to discuss the theme for spring spirit week. Many clubs took advantage of this time to gather and plan for future projects or events.

During the 30-minute “club period” today, club presidents received a gift of time to hold club meetings or to organize their agendas.

According to Spirit Club advisor Kerry Enzensperger, the club period was scheduled in hopes of freeing up long lunch for spirit events, class competitions, and socializing.

“Some people don’t get to see their friends during lunch because they all have different clubs, so this is a way for everyone to be free,” Enzensperger said.

Another goal of the project was to increase attendance at club meetings. Student Council met with the administration several times this year to finalize the schedule.

“The Club Days are designed to free students from other commitments, such as taking tests, studying, or other activities, to have full attendance at club meetings,” said Maverick McNealy (12), who helped pitch this project to the administration.

Clubs mainly held meetings as normal, but some chose to get organized and fulfill logistical requirements for the year.

“We mostly took club photos, which I guess is really important for yearbook,” said Agata Sorotokin (10), a member of the National French Honor Society.

While Red Cross Club officer Alan Soetikno (12) attended and held club meetings during the period, he questioned its effectiveness.

“Even if my club didn’t meet during the club period, we would have still met during lunch,” he said. “It’s more just moving things around than actually giving us more time.”

While the period was intended as a time for clubs to meet, many students, including Alan, ended up using the club period as an extension of extra help.

To sophomore Nitya Mani, while the option of having an extra time for clubs to convene is helpful, it caused over-scheduling.

“While it’s a nice idea in theory, it didn’t really work in reality because every single club scheduled their meetings at the same time,” Nitya said.

According to Maverick, Student Council hopes to continue having club periods roughly every four weeks, “on days that would most benefit both clubs and the student body.”

Future Club Days are planned for March 20 and April 24.