SDS sets off its annual performance on opening night

Cast members of D.N.A. discuss chilling plans in this darkly dramatic play. Student Directed Showcase kicked off their performances on January 4, the opening night.

As ambient lights dimmed on maroon curtains, a brighter spotlight took its place, illuminating the director who would start off the first show. Throughout the next few hours, a madwoman’s parlor, cancer patients’ cottages, sinister woods, and a murder investigation set assumed the stage, settings to the four shows put on in this year’s Student Directed Showcase (SDS).

SDS kicked off on opening night, January 4. The four shows—The Madwoman of Chaillot, The Shadow Box, D.N.A., and The Choice is Yours—were directed by seniors Cristina Jerney, Cecilia Lang-Ree, Hannah Prutton, and Lori Berenberg, respectively. Their selected plays provided a wide variety of genres, ranging from satirical comedy to drama to an audience-interactive murder mystery.

Preparation for SDS began with the directors’ choosing the plays they wanted to produce. After casting, rehearsals started with times that corresponded with the members’ schedules. Frequency of rehearsals ranged from once a week to once a month, lasting about two hours at a time.

“It’s a lot more laidback and it’s a lot more fun because you know your directors are kind of your friends. It’s a closer bond,” said Ishanya Anthapur (10), who played Felicity in The Shadow Box. “It’s just as much work as the fall play and the musical and just as important, but it’s slightly more chill.”

Behind the scenes, sophomore Jeremy Binkley worked as part of the deck crew, which was responsible for scene shifts as well as transferring props on and off stage. Rehearsals for the tech crew started on New Years’ Day.

“For SDS, we’ve had less time because it’s a lower scale show,” he said. “In this case, [we] have rehearsal, rehearsal, two days of rehearsals, and then bam, you’re already at the show.”

Many alumni visiting home took the chance to attend, viewing the production as an opportunity to watch younger siblings perform, come across old friends, or just enjoy a good show.

“I think it’s a pretty unique experience,” Max Isenberg (’12) said. “I actually did not get to see many productions as a student, but now that I get to see my sister on stage, I think it’s a new perspective. It’s a lot of fun.”

During intermission after the first two shows, Arun Shriram (9), attending his first school production throughout elementary, middle, and high school, was impressed by the performers’ professionalism.

“I think the students have worked really hard on this,” he said. “Especially in the first show, they were really working hard, I can tell, because they rehearsed their lines so perfectly. If it were me, I would probably have cracked up in the middle of my line.”

He also commented on the chance for underclassmen to portray more prominent roles, saying that he thinks, “SDS goes by talent and not by classes.”

After the conclusion of Friday’s performance, Justin Gerard (12), who played the Prospector in The Madwoman of Chaillot, appreciated the enthusiastic response from the audience and was satisfied with the casts’ overall performances.

“This was our first night, so we do get notes on it,” he said. “[There were] maybe some minor issues, but generally we just want to keep up the energy because it’s opening night, and everyone’s excited.”

As a director, Cristina found the most fun in seeing “all of the hard work pay off.” Previously acting in SDS twice, she noticed many obvious and subtle differences between the roles of actor and director.

“[As director,] you are controlling everything. You’re in charge of everything. Every artistic decision is yours,” she said.

After opening night’s performance, cast members and directors received congratulations before returning home to prepare for the next show. SDS’s final show will run on January 5 at 7 p.m.