Student Diversity Coalition announces Challenge Day event for juniors and seniors

Esha Gohil

Student Diversity Coalition representatives Uma Iyer (12) and Brooklyn Cicero (12) introduce Challenge Day on Friday. “[Challenge Day] was truly a transformative experience,” Brooklyn said in her speech. “It brought me a lot closer to my peers and allowed me to get very vulnerable with them, something that was a bit hard to do at first, but eventually I got used to it.”

by Isha Moorjani, News Editor

The Student Diversity Coalition (SDC) gave a presentation to juniors and seniors in the Auxiliary Gym on Friday about Challenge Day, which will be held on Friday, Sept. 17, from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Blackford campus. 

Registration will be first come first serve with 100 spots available for students. The deadline for the Google form and permission slip is Wednesday, Sept. 8. Since the event is taking place on a school day, all absences will be excused. Challenge Day emphasizes empathy, compassion and diversity through powerful activities designed for both adolescents and adults. 

Assistant to Assistant Head of School and Diversity Coordinator Tyeshia Brown began the event, and SDC representatives Uma Iyer (12) and Brooklyn Cicero (12) introduced Challenge Day. 

“Challenge Day is a powerful and transformative day that can change the way we will view each other forever, and it’s a super fun day of friendship and new possibilities,” Uma said at the presentation. 

At the event, students can participate in activities designed to help learn empathy and to bring them closer to each other. Challenge Day is only open to juniors and seniors this year. Parents can drop off students at the Blackford campus, but students can also park there or take a shuttle from the upper school campus. 

“[Challenge Day] was truly a transformative experience,” Brooklyn said at the presentation. “It brought me a lot closer to my peers and allowed me to get very vulnerable with them, something that was a bit hard to do at first, but eventually I got used to it.” 

To conclude the presentation, the SDC showed a video about Challenge Day from Monta Vista High School, which included student perspectives on the event. Before dismissing students, senior class dean and upper school English teacher Christopher Hurshman spoke to the students about the benefits of attending Challenge Day.

“All of you probably know what it feels like at Harker to go through your life performing a version of yourself, pretending to be some version of yourself,” Hurshman said. “Challenge Day is a great opportunity to let that guard down and be a little bit more of who you are, rather than who you want to be perceived as or a person that you’re worried you have to be in order to fit in here.”