Honor Week celebrates honor for Harker’s 125th anniversary

During the campus clean-up on Friday, Clarice Wang (9) put a piece of trash in a garbage bag held open by Abel Olivas, Spanish teacher and department head of Modern and Classical languages.

Lucy Ge

Lucy Ge

Lucy Ge

by Lucy Ge, Reporter

Microphone in hand, physics and science research teacher Chris Spenner spoke on Wednesday, Feb. 20 during the school meeting about acceptance within the Harker community. He highlighted three speeches given earlier in the school year by Haris Hosseini (12), Raphael Sanche (12) and chemistry teacher Robbie Korin.

Haris gave his speech “The Man Problem,” which focused on toxic masculinity, Raphael talked about his experience coming out as transgender and Korin related his experience as a gay individual.

“You don’t have to tell your story to a gym full of a thousand people to be heard or feel accepted,” Spenner said in his speech. “Tell your story to your friends, to whoever you trust, to people who you know care about you.”

On the week of Feb. 19 to Feb. 22, students celebrated honor at the upper school with Honor Week, where each day of the four-day school week was dedicated to one of the four Harker pillars: respect, acceptance, honesty and environment.

On Tuesday, students and faculty submitted Respect in Action shoutouts for instances of respect they saw around school.

“At Harker, since people try their best to respect others, we can learn more,” Alyssa Tomberg (9) said.

To many students, Harker is a diverse and open community.

“We’re especially strong in the acceptance pillar. There’s a lot of times where we’ve been an accepting community, and I see it everyday around campus,” sophomore Honor Council representative Betsy Tian said.

On Wednesday, in addition to Spenner’s speech, Honor Council also hosted a “bingo bonding” community event during lunch. With a total of around 30 students, participants were given small square bingo sheets with a different activity in each box. Activities included “have a dad joke competition,” “share a fun fact about yourself, “create a handshake with someone” and “give a compliment to someone.” Students who completed all the tasks received bags of candy as prizes.

On Thursday, chalk was available on the cement outside the RPAC and Athletic Center, where students could write messages regarding honesty on the ground.

A campus clean-up took place on Friday, the day dedicated to environment. Advisories walked around campus picking up trash and cleaning up classrooms.

“You can see honor anywhere,” junior Honor Council representative Simar Bajaj said. “It’s not just stopping cheaters, honor’s much broader than that. That’s something that a lot of people forget – that there a lot of small ways to be honorable.”