Shanghai World Foreign Language Academy exchange students visit Harker

Jennifer Walrod

7th and 8th graders from Harker’s middle school pose for a photo with their foreign exchange buddies from Shanghai World Foreign Language Academy while sightseeing in San Francisco.

by Arushi Saxena, Global Editor

A group of 18 students from one of Harker’s sister schools, the Shanghai World Foreign Language Academy, arrived in the United States on Saturday morning. After arriving, students and their three chaperones spent MLK weekend exploring the Bay Area.

Their itinerary also contained sightseeing in San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and San Jose. This week, they visited Harker, where they attend special classes with their buddies. Some of the special classes they are attending include: Learning how to make Native American Dream Catchers (with Mr. Hirota), Design Thinking Activity (Dr. Joseph), Dance (Ms. Gail), Chemistry Lab (Mr. Montany and Ms. Swaminathan), and American History and Culture (Mr. Lodha).

Throughout the week, they also went to the Lower School to teach 4th and 5th graders how to do a traditional papercutting activity. They had an American Cuisine cooking class (and ate the food for lunch), went to Monterey Bay Aquarium, and explored the Stanford Campus. After spending the week with their Harker buddies, the exchange students will head to LA for more sightseeing.