Spirit event brings students together through “Guess the Song” and raffle drawing

Charlie Wang
Associated Student Body (ASB) Spirit Coordinator Luke Mehta (12) asks fall sports captains to guess a song during the spirit event. on Wednesday in the Athletic Center (AC). The game included songs such as “Barbie World (With Aqua)” by Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice and “Night Changes” by One Direction.

Sophomores, juniors and seniors gathered in the Athletic Center (AC) for a schoolwide spirit event from 9:35 to 9:50 a.m. on Wednesday. 

Associated Student Body (ASB) Spirit Coordinator Luke Mehta (12) and Harker Spirit Leadership Team (HSLT) Community Leader Anish Jain (12) started off the meeting by calling up fall sports captains Juhi Madala (12), Margaret Cartee (12), Carol Song (12), Emi Fujimura (12), Keren Eisenberg (11), Adam Sayed (12), Kashish Priyam (11), Charlize Wang (11), Caio Cammer (11) and Rayan Arya (11), who each introduced themselves and their sport. Luke then led a game of “Guess the Song” in which he played the beginning of popular songs such as “Barbie World (With Aqua)” by Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice and “Night Changes” by One Direction. Team captains competed to be the first to guess the correct song name and artist for points. 

Sophomore HSLT representatives chose six winners, Eric Zhang (11), Claire Perng (11), Jason Li (11), Natalie Barth (10), Sathvik Vemulapalli (10) and Nikhil Ranjit (12), out of all students who participated in the raffle at Spirit Kickoff. They won various prizes, ranging from boba and Starbucks deliveries to a panda plushie with a boba cup. Nikhil, the last winner to be chosen, received an option to exchange prizes with another student. 

“It was great to see people enjoying [the spirit event],” Leana Zhou (10), a HSLT representative who conducted the raffle, said. “I loved that [the winners] were laughing and enjoying their prizes and [that] their classmates were cheering them on.”

Justin Chao (12), who attended the event, appreciated the effort from ASB and HSLT put into organizing the event and enjoyed watching other students participate in the raffle and games. 

“The ‘Guess the Song’ game was well-prepared, and I liked it a lot,” Justin said. “It was definitely fun, and it was a good introduction to spirit this year.”