Community jumps into year of spirit with Spirit Kickoff

Kinnera Mulam
Juniors Sam Parupudi and Sanaa Bhorkar paint the Class of 2025’s eagle white. Each grade colored their eagle white ahead of Spirit Week in October, during which classes will decorate their respective eagles to their assigned theme.

Around 250 students and faculty attended the Spirit Kickoff on Sept. 1. The event took place in the Quad from 3:30-5 p.m. and featured boardwalk-themed activities to inaugurate another year of Harker spirit.

Harker Leadership Spirit Team (HSLT) planned and organized activities around the Quad like a coin toss for a candy prize, a splash zone game in which participants threw wet sponges at teachers, a watermelon-eating contest and a mechanical surfboard. Additionally, HSLT served shaved ice cones and popcorn.

“I think that high school is a really fun time in everybody’s life,” said upper school Learning, Innovation and Design Director Diane Main, who participated in the splash zone. “Often, kids at our school are being so serious about their schoolwork or their academics that they’re not getting the most out of high school in terms of the spirit and the activities that are not academic. [I do] as much as I can [to] encourage that and be a part of it.”

Other activities included a guessing game for a jar of candy, a hoop throw for plastic ducks and cornhole. Students could also spin a wheel to earn prizes such as candy or a high five. Sara Glusman (11) won the unique prize of dressing up Head of Upper School Paul Barsky. 

“[Spirit Kickoff has been a] 10 out of 10,” HSLT Vice President Daniel Chen (11) said. “Last year, people started to leave around 4, 3:50, even though [the event] was already phenomenal. This year, [at] 4 o’clock we started planning to clean up, but people [were] still here. It’s a good team this year.”

In preparation for the annual Homecoming Week eagle painting, each class covered last year’s eagle designs with white paint. Once grades receive their themes in October, they will decorate the blank eagles with new designs. Student Activities Board (SAB) Representative Harshini Chaturvedula (12), who helped paint the eagles during Spirit Kickoff as well as last year’s Spirit Week, looks forward to the year of spirit ahead and remains determined for her class to win the spirit competition for the second year in a row.

“It was so nice to see everyone come out and have fun,” Harshini said. “Seeing all the [frosh] who came out was amazing since we’re seeing another generation keep up with our [traditions]. Overall, it was a great start to spirit for this year.”