Election survey results: How upper school members are feeling about the 2020 election

by Lucy Ge, Winged Post News Editor

This Tuesday, Harker Aquila sent out an anonymous survey to all upper school students to gather information about how students are feeling about the upcoming election, which is two days away. Here are the responses represented as pie charts. 

The majority of Harker students are currently under the age of 18 and are unable to vote this year. However, survey results show that over half of those surveyed believe that they know “a lot” about the election. 

Survey results show that about 88 percent of students surveyed would or did vote for Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, while 68 percent believe that Biden will win.

Although Akhilesh Chegu (11) identifies as Republican, he says that he would vote for Biden.

Upper school students identify with a range of political ideologies and political parties, with a majority of those surveyed identifying as liberal and over 67 percent of students identifying with the Democratic party.

Vincent Zhang (10) identifies with the Green party, although he does not believe in voting for a third-party candidate.

Harker Aquila also asked respondents how well they thought Trump handled key issues, including the pandemic, the Supreme Court, immigration, environment, racial equality and inclusion, women’s rights and LGBTQ+ rights. Most students surveyed thought that Trump handled these issues either “poorly” or “very poorly.”

Trisha Variyar (10) is one of the students who indicated that President Trump has handled environmental issues poorly.