Fall sports train over summer, begin seasons

by Anika Rajamani and Aditya Singhvi

Girls Volleyball

Girls volleyball has finished tryouts and is into the season now, with 16 people on the varsity team. Due to a large turnout for tryouts, the coaches decided to create an intramural team, so this year there will be four teams, with freshman, JV, and varsity participating in g

ames. Practices started Aug. 16, and the first scrimmage was against Saratoga High School on Aug. 17. They play Mountain View High School at home today in a non-league game.

Cross Country

The cross country team started preseason practices on July 9 at Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve. Their first meet is on Aug. 30 at Gunn High School. This meet is not a full-length 3-mile run, but rather a 2-mile practice meet with races separated by grade. This meet includes an alumni race where coaches, teachers, parents and other alumni of the two schools get to participate. The first large meet is the Lowell Invitational on Sept. 8 at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.

Football

The football team lost their first game of the season 47-20 against Big Christian on Aug. 17, but won their second game against James Lick 22-18. Summer training started on Monday, June 11. There is no JV team this year, and it a relatively small team compared to previous years, with just four new freshmen. The team is headed by captains Ayush Vyas (12), Mitchell Granados (12), Anthony Meissner (12) and Jared Anderson (12). Their starting quarterback is Anthony Meissner. The team’s next game is tomorrow against Washington High School.

Girls Water Polo

The girls’ water polo team began practices on Aug. 13. There is only a varsity team, and the team has just one new athlete joining. The team’s first game is a home, conference game on Sept. 4 against Saratoga High School.

Boys Water Polo

The boys’ water polo team comprises both a JV team, consisting of sophomores and freshmen, and a varsity team. The varsity team’s first game is a league game on Sept. 4 at home against Saratoga High School. This will follow the girls’ water polo game on that day.

Girls Golf

The girls’ golf team held their first tryout on Aug. 25 at Baylands Golf Links. The team has 12 girls and participated in an unofficial scrimmage on Aug. 28 against Palo Alto High School and Valley Christian. The team will compete in the Helen Lengfeld Memorial Tournament on Sept. 4 and in an official tri-match against Sacred Heart and Belmont on Sept. 5.

Girls Tennis

Girls tennis held tryouts three weeks ago and began practices this Monday. There is only a varsity team, with 17 girls on the team. There are six new freshmen. The team competes in the California Girls Tennis Classic on Sept. 7 and 8 in Fresno.

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on Aug. 31, 2018.