Girls’ Varsity soccer crushes ICA in 5-0 victory

Sophomore Gabi Gupta kicks the ball past ICA’s defender in a game on Friday, January 18. The Eagles’ victory over ICA improves their overall record to 4-5-1 and 3-1-1 in league play.

Cleats are on, the clock is up, and the game is on.

Tweeeeet. The Eagles penetrated past Immaculate Conception Academy’s (ICA) defense and within just two minutes, Alyssa Amick (10) scored the first goal. From then, the Eagles did not stop.

The girls’ Varsity soccer team defeated ICA 5-0 in a league game yesterday, raising their season record to 4-5-1.

The first half of the game was filled with consistent pressure by the Eagles on ICA’s goal, with the competition taking place mainly on the opponent’s side of the field.

Fifteen minutes into the game, Alyssa launched the ball up the field to forward Sondra Costa (12), who then sprinted to score the second goal. Other highlights included a goal that rolled in from a blocking attempt by ICA’s goalie.

For team member Sondra, this season was a start of something new. After taking a year off playing soccer at the Upper School, Sondra acknowledges the improvements she has witnessed under the guidance of head coach Jason Berry and assistant coach Andrew Ransome.

“We’re improving as shown by our record and we’re working a lot better together,” Sondra said.

The second half of the game consisted of effective Eagles’ defense and included goals by Safia Khouja (10) and Alyssa.

Leading the team are captains Alyssa, Adrienne Mendel (12), Amy Gendotti (12), and Wendy Shwe (12).

With a number of players sidelined by injuries, the team started at a setback. Wendy emphasized the importance of experimenting with the team’s various options due to the limited number of players.

“We’re learning to play as a team, and it’s good to [substitute] people in and see what our options are,” she said.

Berry agreed. Changing the lineup and “putting girls in different scenarios” enabled him to “work out more situational tactics” to prepare for the competition next week.

Some of Berry’s goals for the team this season include an overall winning record and a league title. To attain these accomplishments, he noted what the players need to improve upon.

“Getting the caliber of play in both mental and physical toughness [will help us],” he said. “Reading the field and being aware of the situations and how we react to them are [crucial].

The team will travel on the road to Summit Prep on Tuesday and to Mercy Burlingame on Thursday.