Lent: Students sacrifice

Forty days without candy. Forty days without Facebook. Or maybe it’s 40 days without music. Lent, the duration of time framed by Mardi Gras and Easter, is traditionally practiced by Catholics who make sacrifices as an imitation of the days Jesus spent in the desert.

As part of her Catholic faith, Margaret Krackeler (10) is giving up candy for the fourth year in a row. “I’m not a very devoted believer, but by occasionally going to church, altar serving, and then also giving up something for Lent, I feel like I’m in a way still faithful,” she said.

Although specific to Catholicism, students of alternative branches of Christianity are also celebrating this tradition, which lasts from the Catholic ritual of Ash Wednesday on February 17 to Easter on April 4th.

“Lent is meant as a time for Catholics, or Christians, to experience and better understand the sacrifices that Jesus gave when he died on the cross for humanity,” Michelle Lo (10) said.

Although not Catholic, Michelle decided to give up Facebook for Lent this year. Her family does not typically give up anything and does not pressure her to do so either.

Brianna Tran (11) attends Catholic Church and events with her family, and practices a tradition of sacrificing meat on Fridays during Lent.

With similar thought, Erica Woolsey (11) abstains from meat on Fridays and is giving up candy this year for Lent even though she is not Catholic.
“It’s something I do every year. My family also sacrifices something during Lent. It takes a lot of determination to successfully give something up, because there’s so much temptation,” she said.

Each year during Lent, Andy Perez (9) has also been giving up candy. “It’s what you’re supposed to do out of respect for God because he gave up his life for us,” Andy said. Similarly, Alexander Kablanian (11) has been abstaining from eating candy for these 40 days.

Giving up candy last year, Michelle said that her friends and family were very supportive. “They [brought] me salty foods in place of the sweets or fruit, which I was allowed to eat,” she said.

Giving up one category of food is a common choice among students. As a Catholic, Carina Fernandes (12) has given up eating out during Lent. She sees Lent as a chance to “train [herself] not to automatically waste my money on food and save it instead.”

For Michelle and many others, “Lent gives us a taste of just how selfless [Jesus] was to give up his life for us,” she said. “It’s like putting ourselves in his shoes.”