Lunar New Year Gala rings in the year of the dragon with song and dance

Margaret Cartee
Mandarin students hold poles supporting a dancing dragon in the Quad on Feb. 22. The dragon followed the movement of a spherical pearl which represents wisdom.

National Chinese Honor Society held the first annual Chinese Lunar New Year Gala to welcome the year of the dragon in the Quad during lunch on Thursday.

Chinese students and students taking Mandarin showcased a variety of acts and talents featuring Chinese culture, ranging from flute playing to fan dancing. NCHS also hosted booths around the Quad, where attendees crafted paper lanterns, tried foods like fortune cookies and pineapple shortbread cakes and created bookmarks decorated with Chinese characters.

“You can put [paper lanterns] anywhere, and it gives you the atmosphere of Chinese New Year,” Cindy Yu (11) said. “Especially in America, in our house, we don’t put up decorations anymore, so it’s nice to have these things that represent [it] even though it’s been a week since Chinese New Year. If you have these physical decorations around, it makes it more lively.”

Frosh perform a traditional Chinese dance with large fans made of flowy red and white fabric. “The cultural significance of the fan dance is to imitate Chinese beauty and elegance,” dancer Eliana Chui said. (Margaret Cartee)

Students in Mandarin classes started the performances with an undulating dragon dance. They imitated the snaking motion of a dragon as they followed a student holding a pearl, representing wisdom. Tarush Gupta (9) and Nathaniel Idicula (9) then performed a skit about the origins of Chinese New Year, and Hannah Jiang (9) and Jennifer Liu (9) sang and rapped to “Follow.”

Sophia Bagley (10) played a flute solo and sang a rendition of “Sweet Like Honey,” and Nat Tan (10) sang along to “Happiness.” AP Chinese Language and Culture students performed “Give Me Red Envelopes,” and Yinan Zhou (11) followed up with a guitar version of “Meet You at Next Crossing.”

Frosh Eliana Chui, Sean Wang, Bianca Banzon and Nisha Padhi then took the stage and flicked open large fans with flowy red and white fabric to perform a traditional Chinese fan dance.

“The cultural significance of the fan dance is to imitate Chinese beauty and elegance,” Eliana said. “Back then, the reason why women were chosen to do the fan dance was because we were supposed to be dainty; we were supposed to be elegant. The whole point of the fan dance is to imitate this beauty and make it seem ethereal.”

Grace Fu (9) plays “Spring Is Back to Lhasa” on the guzheng before a large audience. Dozens of students performed in the nine acts. (Kevin Zhang)

Grace Fu (9) closed the gala playing “Spring Is Back to Lhasa” on the guzheng, a Chinese stringed instrument. Many students dressed in traditional Chinese attire like hanfu to celebrate Lunar New Year and showcase their heritage.

“I feel like it’s gone really well: it definitely seemed on par with Quadchella to me,” NCHS Vice President Yinan said. “I hope they just realize that at Harker people do care about Chinese culture and I hope they look forward to this event every year.”