Culture Week Days 4 and 5: Students collaborate on chalk mural, mark countries of origin

Margaret Cartee
Art Club officers Emma Li (10) and Laurel Davies (12) and Student Diversity Coalition Leader Dina Ande (12) draw in chalk outside of the Rothschild Performing Arts Center on Friday. Students responded in chalk to the prompt “What do you hope to see in the future?”

Upper school students contributed to a school-wide collaborative art piece outside of the Rothschild Performing Arts Center during lunch on Friday, marking the end of Culture Week’s activities.

Student Diversity Coalition collaborated with Art Club for the open chalk mural activity. SDC asked participants to consider any of their hopes and views of the future and depict their ideas in the mural. 

“In a lot of talk about change these days, it could be focused a lot on the negative, which is fair,” SDC leader and Art Club member Iris Fu (12) said. “But especially as youth it’s really important for us to try to try to focus on something that’s a little bit more hopeful. I think this is a great activity for everyone who wants to just draw something to let out stress, but also to contemplate on what they want to see and contribute to the world.”

Participants worked under the RPAC overhang to avoid the rainy weather and keep the mural dry. They used colorful chalk and brushes to write messages such as “hope” and “peace” and illustrate their visions and desires for the future. 

Christy Ma (10) depicted a rural landscape in the mural and noted her personal desire for tranquility and a future reconnection between society and nature. 

Brooke Kubose (10) marks Vietnam on the world map on the Student Diversity Coalition’s bulletin board inside of Main Hall on Thursday. “I saw [the map], and I thought it was cool that people could show where they are from,” Brooke said. (Janam Chahal)

“It’s definitely a nice way to get to know other people’s thoughts on the matter and to look deeper into your own ideas,” Christy said. “Even if you don’t typically do art, you can still be introspective about the problems and what you think the future will look like, what hope is to you.”

Students also marked their countries of origin on a world map inside Main Hall for Thursday’s Culture Week activity. SDC displayed the map on their bulletin board and put out some markers for students to use to mark where their families are from. 

Brooke Kubose (10), who circled her country of origin, Vietnam, highlighted her thoughts on being able to observe where other students are from on the map.

“I have a lot of classes that are near that particular spot in Main,” Brooke said. “I saw it, and I thought it was cool that people could show where they are from.”  

Iris notes the success of Culture Week in encouraging self-expression in students and facilitating a supportive community.

“I hope people feel more safe to express their cultural identity,” Iris said. “I hope people become a little bit more aware of what they’re saying, when they’re talking about different cultures, that some of their classmates come from that background, and it’s important for them to recognize that so that they can really approach these conversations with an open mind.”

Art Club officer Laurel Davies (12) contributes to the chalk mural outside of the Rothschild Performing Arts Center on Friday. “Even if you don’t typically do art, you can still be introspective about the problems and what you think the future will look like, what hope is to you,” mural contributor Christy Ma (10) said. (Margaret Cartee)