WiSports Club welcomes dietitian, discusses sports nutrition

Janam Chahal
Registered dietician Sara Leung speaks to students about sports nutrition during long lunch on Dec. 1. Leung has over 15 years of experience helping people develop a positive and healthy relationship with food.

Women in Sports Club hosted a speaker event about sports nutrition with registered dietitian Sara Leung in math teacher Bianca Cung’s classroom on Dec. 1 during long lunch. 

Leung has over 15 years of experience giving people nutritional information to help them develop a positive and healthy relationship with food. She discussed the crucial role of nutrition in enhancing athletic performance and student-athletes’ well-being. 

She established two main tenets of nutrition that allow for peak performance: growth and consistency. Leung noted that people can grow and lead an active life by fueling for menstruation and performance. She also encouraged students to consistently eat three meals per day to promote regular metabolism, appetite, satiation and sleep. 

“Never ever skip meals,” Leung said during the event. “If you take away anything from today, it should be that meals should be non-negotiable. It shouldn’t be an afterthought.”

Leung also provided general food intake breakdowns for athletes, emphasizing carbohydrates and protein for fuel, recovery, growth and overall health. WiSports co-president and soccer player Misha Singla (10) noted how Leung’s expertise provided her with knowledge that can help improve her athletic performance. 

“I think a lot of people learned about nutritional needs for sports,” Misha said. “It was very beneficial to student-athletes. I learned about what I should eat before and after a game. Also, how to manage my protein intake and carbohydrates.”

As a predominantly female-identifying club, WiSports informed female athletes about the connections between nutrition and their bodies. Leung spoke about how nutrition can affect menstruation and encouraged students to listen to their bodies’ cravings. Because different sports require different nutritional needs, Leung emphasized that student-athletes should not compare their diets with others’.

Volleyball player Judi Abdelrazik (10) shared how Leung provided her with practical tips to achieve proper nutrition as an athlete.

“I really enjoyed the [event] because I struggle with how much I should eat before and after practice,” Judi said. “It helped me regulate when I eat and the best times to eat to be the best.”

At the end of the event, students asked questions and requested advice on how to sufficiently fuel themselves before and after sports games. Leung provided recommendations applicable to many different practice and game day schedules.  

Leung shared her extensive knowledge with many student athletes and encouraged them to reach their highest potential through proper nutrition at the end of the event. Misha reflected on Leung’s message and recognized how proper nutrition can aid physical health. 

“[Leung] provided the message that people should eat what they want to when they want to,” Misha said. “But also, people should ensure that [their meals] will help [their] body rebuild muscles and repair injuries.”