Town hall sparks conversations for embracing diversity and inclusion

Sarah Mohammed

Head of School Brian Yager reviews the Harker Community Town Hall agenda. The town hall included discussions about the progress made so far, the AIM survey results, reflections and a question and answer session.

by Sarah Mohammed and Isha Moorjani

To discuss new updates, ideas and concerns regarding diversity among students, alumni and faculty, the administration organized Harker’s second set of town halls of the 2020-2021 school year on June 9, with the first set of town halls taking place in the fall. 38 students and staff joined to listen and share their ideas, and a town hall for parents and alumni took place on June 8.  

In an email sent out to the school community, Head of School Brian Yager addressed the purpose of the town hall. 

“The primary goal of these town halls is for the school to share updates, and to provide community members an opportunity to ask questions and provide input that will help the school enhance and focus our efforts and impact in the coming years,” Yager wrote. “These town halls will include an update from the Harker Diversity Committee on the school’s work in this area over the past year.”

Yager discussed the new diversity-conscious electives, such as Introduction to Ethnic Studies, Introduction to Social Justice and Black American Literature. Topics of discussion also included the plaque recognizing the Muwekma Ohlone land the campus is settled on and the results of the Assessment of Inclusivity and Multiculturalism (AIM) survey, which all students took earlier in the year. 

“We want to make sure that we are creating a community in which all people, regardless of background and identity, feel a sense of belonging,” Mark Janda, co-chair of the Diversity Committee and upper school history and social science teacher, said in an interview. “That’s kind of abstract and intangible, and we want to come up with some more concrete ways to move us in that direction. Things like having a town hall, doing the AIM survey, having affinity groups, those are pieces that we’ve worked on in order to create a space [where] everyone, regardless of identity, feels a sense of belong[ing].”

Some results of the AIM survey that Yager discussed include a bigger need for respect for cultural diversity; more diversity in socioeconomic status for current and prospective students; a more diverse administration, staff and student body; additional support for LGBTQ+ students and more support for students with different views on the political spectrum.

The upper school Student Diversity Coalition (SDC) has worked closely with administration to create more spaces for affinity groups and to organize events, such as Challenge Day, in which the community can come together to share and discuss their ideas and personal viewpoints. SDC has also discussed with administration endowments for financial aid students. 

The administration and especially the Diversity Committee were being really transparent on where they are and where they’re hoping to go. One of my takeaways about why town halls are important is it’s a way to make sure that Harker is, in some ways, held accountable to pursuing DEI initiatives.

— Natasha Yen ('21)

“Harker is looking to be more inclusive and supportive of different socioeconomic statuses and working with [the] admissions office in the future on that as well,” Natasha Yen (‘21), a co-leader of the SDC, said. “The administration and especially the Diversity Committee were being really transparent on where they are and where they’re hoping to go. One of my takeaways about why town halls are important is just learning about what Harker is doing, but also, it’s a way to make sure that Harker is, in some ways, held accountable to pursuing DEI initiatives.”

Some of the SDC faculty and students that attended shared their thoughts about the progress being made during an open mic portion at the event, in which attendees could voice their opinions, confront problems or talk about goals for the future. 

Dina Ande (9), one of the SDC officers for the class of 2024, appreciated how students and faculty remained engaged and attentive during the town hall. This was the first town hall that she attended, and she enjoyed having a space that allowed the community to share their opinions and ideas. 

“I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with how it went,” Dina said in an interview. “Everyone was really open to share the insights and issues within our school community that we need to change and continue to improve. I didn’t discuss much, but hearing what other people had to say and knowing that they cared was just really great.”

Dina hopes that more people can attend the event in the future through in-person meetings or a mandatory time integrated into the school schedule in the future. 

“Mr. Yager mentioned this might be like a yearly ritual that we do as a school, and so if that is the case, maybe [we could hold it] during assembly time so that everyone can come because I think it is important to see what the student body has to say about how they feel,” Dina said. 

Middle School Diversity Coordinator Rebecca Williams emphasized the importance of diversity as a way to enrich students’ learning and their ability to engage deeply with the world ahead of them. 

“Part of our mission is to prepare students to be global citizens,” Williams said in an interview. “The global society is made up of different people, and so learning other stories, learning how to interact, learning how to cooperate, work, grow and build on people’s strengths is essential to be successful beyond school.” 

Upper school English Teacher Susanne Salhab, who serves as a faculty member on the Diversity Council, believes that “diversity, equity, inclusion and justice guide [her] work as an educator.” She hopes that students will feel reassurance that they have support from the community no matter what their background is. 

“I want our community to know that they have a space where they can express themselves and feel safe,” Salhab said in an interview. “Everyone at Harker should know that we as a community want to hear their voices and uplift them.” 

Harker community members with ideas or questions to share with the Harker Diversity Committee can email [email protected].

A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to the Student Diversity Coalition as the Student Diversity Committee. The article has been updated on Nov. 25, 2021 to reflect the correction of this error.

Photo of Sarah Mohammed
Sarah Mohammed, Winged Post Co-Editor-in-Chief

Sarah Mohammed (12) is the co-editor-in-chief of the Winged Post, and this is her fourth year on staff. This year, she is excited to help make beautiful...

Photo of Isha Moorjani
Isha Moorjani, Aquila Co-Editor-in-Chief

Isha Moorjani (12) is the co-editor-in-chief of Harker Aquila, and this is her fourth year on staff. This year, Isha is excited to manage Aquila's coverage...

• Spanish teachers Diana Moss and Isabel Garcia dance the cumbia to Baila Esta Cumbia by Selena. Attendees also danced the salsa at the end of the night in a competition.

La Noche Cultural celebrates diverse Hispanic culture

• Alum Simar Mangat (’13) describes his efforts to resolve the climate crisis through cryptocurrency and business. He emphasized the decline of biodiversity as a result of the Earths rapid warming.

School Meeting 4/19: Earth Day, dual identities and Artstravaganza

• Juniors Sam Parupudi, Alicia Ran, Jia Jia Jiang and Daniel Chen and sophomore Ananya Pradhan took on the positions of president, vice president, secretary, spirit coordinator and treasurer, respectively, during last weeks ASB election. This marks the first time in nine years that a non-male candidate takes on the role of ASB president.

ASB elections conclude with non-male majority council

• Assistant Head of School for Academic Affairs Jennifer Gargano speaks about the mission of the school. Gargano also mentioned Harkers awards, where teachers select students based on three categories.

School Meeting 4/15: Academic awards, Green Team and Earthchella

• Robert Fields (11) completes a quiz in AP U.S. History. Some colleges are reinstating requirements for standardized test scores that they removed during the pandemic.

Top colleges across U.S. reinstate ACT/SAT requirement

• Team 1072s technical president Chiling Han (11) runs code on the robot at the competitions practice field. Despite multiple rounds of bug fixes, the robots autonomous routine failed to run properly.

Robotics team bounces back at Sacramento Regional

• Harker Journalism poses for a picture holding their Best of Show award. The Winged Post placed seventh in the print newspapers for schools with student populations less than 1,800 students and TALON placed tenth for high school yearbooks between 224-283 pages.

Moseyin’ through Missouri: Harker journalism staff cooks at national JEA/NSPA convention

• Journalism staff presents stories and initiatives at JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention

Journalism staff presents stories and initiatives at JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention

• Arthur Wu (11) cheers for his grade before the announcement of the spirit winners. The juniors finished the spirit events in first place with 4,475 points.

Spirit Week Day 5: Juniors sweep spring rally

• Spirit Week Day 4: Students and faculty dress as “twins,” build Lego castles

Multimedia

Spirit Week Day 4: Students and faculty dress as “twins,” build Lego castles