Students and faculty take field trip down to SeaCliff Beach for Coastal Cleanup Day

Sriya Batchu

Freshmen Lexi Nishimura, Vivian Bi, and Alisa Grebin pick up small colorful shiny pieces of confetti stuck in the bush, conversing about whether there was a birthday party earlier.

by Sriya Batchu, Reporter

Following Friday’s youth climate strike in downtown San Jose, a group of thirty-five upper school  students and staff took a bus to Seacliff State Beach in Aptos to participate in clearing litter during Coastal Cleanup Day, an annual global beach cleanup volunteer day.

A school bus left the upper school around 7:45 a.m. and reached the beach a little before 9 a.m. Director of Upper School Community Service and Student Activities Coordinator Kerry Enzensperger met the group a few minutes later with gloves and grabbers to pick up trash and buckets for collecting the trash. 

The large group split into groups of three and four and started cleaning near the picnic benches. Around 9:40 a.m., the students climbed down to the beach, where each group went in a different direction and started combing the sand for pieces of trash. 

“I wanted to clean the beaches because I wanted to make a difference, small or big,” Uma Iyer (10), who attended the cleanup field trip, said. “It made me feel really nice to be able to help the environment. Even though my group only picked up one bucket of trash, the trash from all the different groups added up to be a lot.”

After eating lunch at noon, the faculty arranged a small competition for the most interesting find from the cleanup. The entries included a beach ball, a Hot Wheels car and a small sculpture of Sebastian, the talking crab from “The Little Mermaid,” but the winner was a small centimeter-long Jesus pendant. The group stopped by Marianne’s Ice Cream, a small ice cream shop located down the street from the beach, before heading back and returning to the upper school by 2:50 p.m.