Learning life’s hard lessons

Life is not easy when you don’t have the basic comforts.

The three weeks I spent in India observing my extended family showed me how hardships brought out the best in them and taught me an important life lesson: how all of us need to adapt in the face of adversity and take joy in whatever life has in store for us.

It is extremely unusual to see a blackout in the US and to imagine that there would be eight-hour blackouts every day is beyond comprehension. However, while I was in India, that turned out to be the situation because of the power crisis. No new power plants are being built, and because of the rapid industrialization and urbanization, the demand continues to outrace supply. Small-scale industries are forced to shut down for two days during the middle of the week, so the workers take those days off and work during the weekends to earn their pay.

There were many nights when we just couldn’t go to bed because it was incredibly hot and humid, and there was no electricity to run the fans and air conditioners. The lack of electricity didn’t seem to faze any of my extended family members who slept through the heat and still went about their work cheerfully. The last time we had a minor blackout in the Bay Area in March 2011, traffic was a chaos, elevators and garages wouldn’t function, and life became quite miserable.

Another observation, which reinforced my beliefs about the toughness of my relatives living in India, was how they dealt with the lack of adequate drinking water supply. The reservoirs dry up during the summers, and the groundwater in the bore wells continues to be depleted, causing a further drain on the existing water supply. In some parts of the country, drinking water is supplied only twice a week for a few hours because of the scarcity of rain. Water is stored in huge containers for usage later in the week as it is quite expensive to buy bottled water.

It is amazing how my relatives did not seem to mind at all and had figured out a way of making the best of the situation. These experiences made me pause and reflect on my life in the Bay Area. To say that we live a privileged life is an understatement. Basic necessities such as drinking water and electricity are taken for granted. We do not have to struggle one little bit to have these essentials delivered to our houses, and yet there are parts of the world out there which have to struggle to get these every day.

The few weeks that I spent in India showed me how resilient the people are despite the adversities they face and how we could learn from them to tackle difficulties in life with a positive attitude.