East Asian makeup trends gain TikTok spotlight

Illustration by Young Min
Unlike older makeup trends often geared towards Western features, many recent makeup trends originate from Asian beauty trends and specifically compliment Asian features. Asian beauty’s rise in popularity also reflects the growing popularity of Asian culture as a whole in Western media.

Spiky false lashes. Bright eye glitter. Heavy pink blush. These East Asian makeup trends have taken over TikTok in the past months. With over one billion users, the app’s influence creates a platform for niche makeup styles to quickly rise to fame. 

TikTok user Alena Suleiman (12) noticed increasing diversity in recent trends.

“I’ve been seeing a lot of trends that are catered to specific aesthetics,” Alena said. “I think it’s a lot more experimental for a lot of creators, which I think is really cool.” 

Among countless TikTok makeup trends, Douyin makeup remains unmatched in its popularity. The makeup style emerged from the Douyin app, a version of TikTok exclusive to China, and took Western media by storm. Focused on creating a doll-like look, Douyin makeup emphasizes the eyes with fake manhua lashes, colored contacts and bright eye glitter. 

Brittany Tsui (12) incorporates Douyin-style elements into her everyday makeup routine. 

“Exploring these makeup trends feels like discovering a new form of self-expression,” Brittany said. “Seeing tutorials for different makeup styles on my For You Page and girls who have similar eye shapes and features helps me with my own makeup routine.”

The Douyin Makeup hashtag has accumulated over three billion views on TikTok. Its popularity has launched Chinese beauty trends into the spotlight. 

Despite the name Douyin makeup, most videos under this hashtag are sourced from Chinese social media app Xiao Hong Shu (Little Red Book). Unlike Douyin, which is only accessible in China, Xiao Hong Shu reaches over 200 million users around the world. Specifically geared towards enhancing Asian features, the tutorials gained popularity among Asian teenagers and young adults. 

“When I first started getting into makeup or skincare, there used to be a lot of Western-focused skincare and makeup, but I found that those products and techniques didn’t match my facial features,” Alena said. “I think the products that are made specifically for Asian features and skin types are a lot more suitable for my face.”

I think the products that are made specifically for Asian features and skin types are a lot more suitable for my face

— Alena Suleiman (12)

In fact, Asian beauty influences many current makeup trends. Japanese makeup artist, Shinobu Igari popularized Igari makeup. The makeup style gained the nickname “hangover makeup” because the heavy blush resembles the natural flush that appears on East Asians after drinking. 

TikTok creators have since rebranded the “hangover” image. In their tutorials, the heavy blush and pastel palette of Igari makeup create a soft, feminine look suitable for everyday wear. 

Asian Baby Girl (ABG) adapts Western makeup to Asian features. The ABG aesthetic first rose to popularity during the 2010s and describes a category of Asian girls who enjoy boba, sport butterfly tattoos and wear a distinct makeup style. The makeup style varies, but thick false lashes, sharp eyebrows and a matte base remain constant. It also features sharp nose contour and bright highlighter, creating a bolder look than Douyin and Igari makeup. 

ABG makeup maintains its relevance in the new era of Asian makeup trends as it caters towards tan skin tones by using Western cosmetic products. Douyin and Igari makeup use lightly pigmented makeup for pale skin tones, failing to incorporate darker ones. ABG makeup brings more inclusivity in skin tones to the recent Asian makeup trends. 

In light of the recent popularity of makeup trends geared towards East Asians, Zoe Wang (9), who closely follows Asian media and trends, speculates a reason for this new pattern. 

“Over Covid, a lot of Asian media started trending and became more widespread,” Zoe said. “Also, because K-dramas, K-pop and anime have become more widespread, the trends in Asia have grown more popular in America and around the world.” 

These TikTok makeup trends reflect the growing popularity of Asian pop culture and inclusivity in makeup. 

“For trends like Douyin makeup to have an influence right now in our age group is really important because if [teenagers] don’t really see [creators] who look like them, they will think ‘even if I use these products, I won’t look like them’,” Alena said. “It’s honestly been really great to see a lot of diversity—not just on my For You Page, but everywhere on social media.”