Winter sports come to a close, spring sports dive into season openers

Katelyn Zhao

Zachary Blue (11) leaps up for a jump serve during varsity boys volleyball practice on March 6. The boys won their season opener against Menlo Atherton.

by Emma Milner, Co-Assistant Sports Editor

Varsity boys basketball, varsity girls basketball and varsity girls soccer closed out their seasons with Central Coast Section (CCS) games, while varsity boys soccer fell short of qualifying, losing 0-4 to Sacred Heart Preparatory in their last game of the season.

After defeating Marina High School 61-52 on Feb. 18, the varsity boys basketball team advanced to the CCS Championship quarterfinals, facing Half Moon Bay High School on Feb. 21. The Eagles lost 46-71, but ended the season with a strong overall league record of 17-9.

With an 8-16 record, varsity girls basketball beat Scotts Valley High School 57-25 at home in the first round of the CCS Championships. The team faced King’s Academy in the quarterfinals but fell short 36-45.

Junior varsity team captain Naiya Daswani (10) offers a unique perspective into the season as she was able to join the varsity team in some of their games due to a lack of players, and learn from both varsity and junior varsity team dynamics. 

“I think this basketball season was a great experience,” Naiya said. “There were some games where we would only have five players, so we would play the whole game. I appreciated the team setting and felt we grew closer during our time together.”

Varsity girls soccer ended with a record of 11-7-2, but lost 3-5 in their first round of CCS to Nueva, which ended their run after a strong season.

Although varsity boys soccer did not qualify for CCS, they finished off the season with a record of 4-8-5. Seven seniors were honored at a senior night ceremony, followed by a 1-0 win against Priory on Feb. 10. 

After months of pre-season preparations, the seven spring sports, girls lacrosse, boys volleyball, boys baseball, boys golf, boys tennis, swimming and track and field, kicked off their seasons.

Varsity girls lacrosse played their first league game of the season against Notre Dame High School on March 1, starting off strong with a 17-7 win. The team hosted Castilleja on March 3, defeating them 23-11. Varsity boys tennis fell 2-5 to Crystal Springs Uplands on March 1. Varsity boys volleyball matched up against Leland on March 3, defeating them 3-0. 

Varsity boys golf faced Design Tech High School on March 1 and came out victorious with a score of 160-173. Sophomore golfer Jonathan Xue reflects on the start of the positive and hopeful start of the season, highlighting the close-knit team dynamic.

“There’s a lot of new people on the team, which is exciting, and also a lot of old friends that I get to see again, and that’s really fun,” Jonathan said. “There’s a lot of camaraderie [and] we’ve already had a lot of bonds and connections — I feel this team will go really far and it’s a great start to the season.”