School meeting recap 11/15/22: Traffic safety, Books with Barsky and holiday spirit

Anwen Hao

Upper School Head Paul Barsky speaks to students about traffic safety during Tuesday’s school meeting. He encouraged both drivers and pedestrians to wait three seconds before crossing Saratoga Avenue.

by Gabe Sachse, Asst. Sports Editor

Upper School Head Paul Barsky opened the school meeting and encouraged students to sit with their advisors during both school and class meetings after Harker Aquila’s photo slideshow on Tuesday.

Barsky then gave an announcement about proper traffic safety using a New Yorker cartoon and encouraged both drivers and pedestrians to wait three seconds before crossing Saratoga Avenue.

Japanese National Honor Society (JNHS) representatives Jessica Tang (12) and Alice Tao (11) announced their anime night that will take place on Friday afternoon in Main 7. They will show an anime titled “Your Name,” and snacks, such as cup noodles, will be provided as well. The event will run from 3:15 to 5 p.m.

Next, Barsky, as well as Paulina Gicqueau (12), Hita Thota (12) and Felix Chen (10) announced the new “Books with Barsky” initiative. Every meeting, students can choose a book that falls under the topic chosen for the group, and then read it and bring it to the meeting. The first theme that the group will cover is mystery, and the meeting will take place on Dec. 9 at 3 p.m.

Harker Eclectic Literature and Media (HELM) magazine editors-in-chief Brian Chen (12) and Claire Chen (12) highlighted the new theme for this year’s magazine, “Bloom,” which represents a “time of revitalization after years of isolation.” Submitted work can range from poetry to sculpture and everywhere in between and does not have to directly relate to the theme. All work should be submitted by Jan. 1, 2023.

Daniel Lin (10) then spoke as a representative for the football team, which recently finished a strong 6-2 season, about an information session that took place during long lunch today in the Innovation Center for prospective athletes to learn about Harker’s football team and offseason training.

Harker Spirit Leadership Team (HSLT) officers Anja Ree (12) and Cynthia Wang (11) announced the spirit events for November and December, including a pumpkin pie eating contest, window painting and gingerbread house making. During Tuesday’s pumpkin pie eating contest, Vishal Rohra (12) took first prize. Anja and Cynthia also reminded the Halloween costume contest winners to pick up their prizes and announced that the frosh are officially beating the sophomores in spirit points.

Green Team officers Gary Ding (12), Kinnera Mulam (11), Shreyas Chakravarty (10), Siddhi Jain (11) and Joelle Weng (11), along with Associated Student Body (ASB) President Kris Estrada, first performed a skit urging Harker students to use reusable cups at Starbucks, incentivized with a raffle where students can win a free drink. They later spoke about Harker’s recycling and compost systems.

Seniors Zain Vakath and BB Ajlouny announced the Eagle Update with three interest meetings: football today during long lunch in the Innovation Center, baseball today at 3:45 p.m. in the team room and lacrosse tomorrow after school at 3:15 p.m. in the team room. They also announced Veyd Patil’s (11) bid at the cross country state championships after his top-10 finish in the Central Coast Section (CCS) Championship.

ASB Vice President Gordon Chen (12) concluded the meeting by asking students to return a stolen cutout of Kris to the Auxiliary gym. ASB previously placed these cutouts around campus to encourage students to clean up after themselves.