Frosh and sophomore girls volleyball team loses to Harbor in two sets

Margaret Cartee

Alicia Ran (10) sets the ball in the frosh and sophomore girls volleyball game on Tuesday. The team fell to Harbor High School in two sets, 21-25 and 12-25 at their away game.

by Margaret Cartee and Yifan Li

The frosh and sophomore girls volleyball team fell to Harbor High School in two sets, 21-25 and 12-25, away at Harbor this Tuesday. 

Harker started the first set with strong serves, but Harbor was quick to tie the score. After exchanging points evenly, Harbor pushed forward with difficult serves until Harker called a timeout at 12-16. Harker fought back with a strong offense to 16-19, but Harbor kept their lead and took the set 21-25. Outside hitter Nandini Chandrashekhar (9) reflects on the progress the team made during practice.

“[In practice,] we worked on how to position ourselves and how to follow up with blocking,” Nandini said. “I think we incorporated it in the game, so we’re improving on that.”

Coach Diana Melendez gestures with a pen to discuss a play during a timeout Harker called at the end of the first set. Harker lost the first set 21-25. (Margaret Cartee)

In the beginning of the second set, the team volleyed back and forth, but Harbor widened their lead with a strong offense and tough serves. At 10-21, Harker called a timeout but was unable to gain momentum and after a long rally, lost the set at 12-25.

“I think before this game — the middle blockers — we didn’t really know what to do,” middle blocker AJ Hacigumus (9) said. “But this time we knew the steps and we knew when to block.”

The girls frosh and sophomore volleyball team plays next Wednesday at home against Milpitas High School at 3:45 p.m. Coach Diana Melendez anticipates seeing the team develop their volleyball skills in the coming games.

“What I’m excited for this team is to see them finally feel comfortable in their own positions, getting the rotations and getting the serves in,” Melendez said. “They’re pretty eager to learn the game itself, so I’m looking forward to seeing it all finally come into play.”

Katherine Wang (9) serves the ball. The girls frosh and sophomore volleyball team plays next Wednesday against Milpitas High School at 3:45 p.m. (Margaret Cartee)