‘Hustle for Muscle’ raises awareness of muscular dystrophy

Kinnera Mulam

Spencer Mak (10) and Adrian Liu (10) block a hit from Vishnu Kannan (12) during the sophomores versus senior match in the “Hustle for Muscle” volleyball tournament. The seniors won the game 15-11.

by Katelyn Zhao and Ananya Sriram

Freshman, sophomore, junior, senior and faculty teams faced off in the annual “Hustle for Muscle” volleyball tournament hosted by Harker DECA and Harker Spirit Leadership Team (HSLT) during lunch last Tuesday and Thursday in the Zhang Athletic Center. The event’s initiative to raise awareness for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), a nonprofit that works to cure muscular dystrophy, attracted a crowd of around 100 students, administration and faculty. 

In the past, DECA has raised money for MDA by selling ice cream during basketball, soccer and volleyball tournaments.

“This year due to COVID, we weren’t able to sell any food during the game like we normally do to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association,” Harker DECA director of Finance Trisha Variyar (11) said. “We also did this to promote Winter Wishes, which we are doing this year for fundraising for the association.“

Through Winter Wishes, a fundraiser organized by DECA for MDA, students can give $5 to support the cause by Nov. 30 and send a holiday gift of chocolate, candy canes, hot chocolate, a note and a rubber duck or polar bear toy to someone at Harker. Although only Winter Wishes are being used for fundraising this year, DECA chose to hold “Hustle for Muscle” this year due to their tradition of holding the game and to help raise awareness for mda during the game, during which they could talk about the organization.

“It was good to see the community get together to watch the game and to support a good cause during lunch,” said Alfredo Alves, assistant athletics director for the upper school and referee for the tournament.

DECA has been fundraising for MDA for six years with annual volleyball tournaments, encouraging students to help Harker DECA support MDA’s cause to find treatments for muscular dystrophy in patients in America.

Due to remote learning during the 2019-2020 school year, DECA changed its usual volleyball game fundraiser to selling St. Patrick’s Day goodie bags due to remote learning.

“Last year, we did the Lucky Charms fundraiser instead, so I thought it was great to collaborate with HSLT in person again and fundraise for MDA,” DECA Co-CEO Gianna “Gigi” Chan (12) said. 

Both the freshmen and junior teams started off strong with serves from Aaron Guo (9) and Tyler Beede (11). Saves and spikes from Leo Sobcyzn (9), tips from Navya Samuel (9) and an ace from Norah Mehanna (9) put the freshmen up 7-6 five minutes into the match. The juniors upped their game, tying the score at 14-14 just before the final play. HSLT and DECA added an extra 30 seconds to the game clock to break the tie, and the freshmen team capitalized on the time, ultimately pulling ahead for an 18-16 victory. 

The sophomores faced the seniors in the next match, with Tara Ozdemir (12) serving first. Blocks by Spencer Mak (10) and spikes from Vishnu Kannan (12) led to wild cheering from onlookers. Following a tip from Adrian Liu (10) and a spike from Spencer, the sophomores evened the score to 11-11. The two teams exchanged points for a majority of the match without any obvious winner, but in the end, the seniors won 15-11.

For the semifinals, the freshman team played the seniors and the sophomores played the juniors on Thursday during long lunch. The sophomores won 14-6 against the juniors, earning the third place spot for 200 spirit points, while the juniors received 100 points for fourth place. The freshman class beat the seniors with a score of 8-3, giving them 400 points for first place, while the seniors received 300 for second. The freshman class will also receive a Krispy Kreme party for winning.

The freshman class advanced to the final stage of the tournament to play against teachers in the faculty-student match, with the freshman team winning in the first set. However, faculty caught up to the freshmen in the next two sets, giving the faculty a win against the freshmen. 

“While I hope everyone who watched the game [on Thursday] enjoyed watching people in their class play a competitive game of volleyball, I also hope they became more aware of the reason why DECA is doing this,” Trisha said.

A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to the sophomore team as the freshman team in a photo caption. The article has been updated on Nov. 23, 2021 to reflect the correction of this error.

Photo of Katelyn Zhao
Katelyn Zhao, Humans of Harker Co-Editor-in-Chief

Katelyn Zhao (12) is the co-editor-in-chief of Humans of Harker, and this is her fourth year on staff. Katelyn aims to honor each of the stories within...

Photo of Ananya Sriram
Ananya Sriram, Winged Post Co-Managing Editor

Ananya Sriram (12) is a co-managing editor for the Winged Post, and this is her fourth year on staff. This year, Ananya hopes to bond more with members...

Photo of Kinnera Mulam
Kinnera Mulam, Winged Post Co-Editor-in-Chief

Kinnera Mulam (12) is the co-editor-in-chief of the Winged Post, and this is her fourth year on staff. This year, Kinnera hopes to get to know all the...

• Juniors Sam Parupudi, Alicia Ran, Jia Jia Jiang and Daniel Chen and sophomore Ananya Pradhan took on the positions of president, vice president, secretary, spirit coordinator and treasurer, respectively, during last weeks ASB election. This marks the first time in nine years that a non-male candidate takes on the role of ASB president.

ASB elections conclude with non-male majority council

• Assistant Head of School for Academic Affairs Jennifer Gargano speaks about the mission of the school. Gargano also mentioned Harkers awards, where teachers select students based on three categories.

School Meeting 4/15: Academic awards, Green Team and Earthchella

• Robert Fields (11) completes a quiz in AP U.S. History. Some colleges are reinstating requirements for standardized test scores that they removed during the pandemic.

Top colleges across U.S. reinstate ACT/SAT requirement

• Team 1072s technical president Chiling Han (11) runs code on the robot at the competitions practice field. Despite multiple rounds of bug fixes, the robots autonomous routine failed to run properly.

Robotics team bounces back at Sacramento Regional

• Harker Journalism poses for a picture holding their Best of Show award. The Winged Post placed seventh in the print newspapers for schools with student populations less than 1,800 students and TALON placed tenth for high school yearbooks between 224-283 pages.

Moseyin’ through Missouri: Harker journalism staff cooks at national JEA/NSPA convention

• Journalism staff presents stories and initiatives at JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention

Journalism staff presents stories and initiatives at JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention

• Arthur Wu (11) cheers for his grade before the announcement of the spirit winners. The juniors finished the spirit events in first place with 4,475 points.

Spirit Week Day 5: Juniors sweep spring rally

• Spirit Week Day 4: Students and faculty dress as “twins,” build Lego castles

Multimedia

Spirit Week Day 4: Students and faculty dress as “twins,” build Lego castles

• Senior Saahil Kajarekar paddles the class of 2024s regatta floatie across the pool. “I think its cool because a lot of the students put all their time into the spirit stuff,” belly flop judge Kadar Arbuckle said. “I actually really like how they make it more official with the judges. I was just here today to add to that.”

Multimedia

Spirit Week Day 3: Regatta and belly flops make a splash

• Upper School Math teacher Caren Furtado hosts the Are You Smarter Than a Teacher Event at lunch on Tuesday. Participants were asked questions like “Which college has a Squirrel Club?” and “What is Lord Voldemort’s real name?”

Multimedia

Spirit Week Day 2: Students and teachers dress as “Tacky Tourists,” battle in trivia game