‘Hustle for Muscle’ raises awareness of muscular dystrophy

Kinnera Mulam

Spencer Mak (10) and Adrian Liu (10) block a hit from Vishnu Kannan (12) during the sophomores versus senior match in the “Hustle for Muscle” volleyball tournament. The seniors won the game 15-11.

by Katelyn Zhao and Ananya Sriram

Freshman, sophomore, junior, senior and faculty teams faced off in the annual “Hustle for Muscle” volleyball tournament hosted by Harker DECA and Harker Spirit Leadership Team (HSLT) during lunch last Tuesday and Thursday in the Zhang Athletic Center. The event’s initiative to raise awareness for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), a nonprofit that works to cure muscular dystrophy, attracted a crowd of around 100 students, administration and faculty. 

In the past, DECA has raised money for MDA by selling ice cream during basketball, soccer and volleyball tournaments.

“This year due to COVID, we weren’t able to sell any food during the game like we normally do to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association,” Harker DECA director of Finance Trisha Variyar (11) said. “We also did this to promote Winter Wishes, which we are doing this year for fundraising for the association.“

Through Winter Wishes, a fundraiser organized by DECA for MDA, students can give $5 to support the cause by Nov. 30 and send a holiday gift of chocolate, candy canes, hot chocolate, a note and a rubber duck or polar bear toy to someone at Harker. Although only Winter Wishes are being used for fundraising this year, DECA chose to hold “Hustle for Muscle” this year due to their tradition of holding the game and to help raise awareness for mda during the game, during which they could talk about the organization.

“It was good to see the community get together to watch the game and to support a good cause during lunch,” said Alfredo Alves, assistant athletics director for the upper school and referee for the tournament.

DECA has been fundraising for MDA for six years with annual volleyball tournaments, encouraging students to help Harker DECA support MDA’s cause to find treatments for muscular dystrophy in patients in America.

Due to remote learning during the 2019-2020 school year, DECA changed its usual volleyball game fundraiser to selling St. Patrick’s Day goodie bags due to remote learning.

“Last year, we did the Lucky Charms fundraiser instead, so I thought it was great to collaborate with HSLT in person again and fundraise for MDA,” DECA Co-CEO Gianna “Gigi” Chan (12) said. 

Both the freshmen and junior teams started off strong with serves from Aaron Guo (9) and Tyler Beede (11). Saves and spikes from Leo Sobcyzn (9), tips from Navya Samuel (9) and an ace from Norah Mehanna (9) put the freshmen up 7-6 five minutes into the match. The juniors upped their game, tying the score at 14-14 just before the final play. HSLT and DECA added an extra 30 seconds to the game clock to break the tie, and the freshmen team capitalized on the time, ultimately pulling ahead for an 18-16 victory. 

The sophomores faced the seniors in the next match, with Tara Ozdemir (12) serving first. Blocks by Spencer Mak (10) and spikes from Vishnu Kannan (12) led to wild cheering from onlookers. Following a tip from Adrian Liu (10) and a spike from Spencer, the sophomores evened the score to 11-11. The two teams exchanged points for a majority of the match without any obvious winner, but in the end, the seniors won 15-11.

For the semifinals, the freshman team played the seniors and the sophomores played the juniors on Thursday during long lunch. The sophomores won 14-6 against the juniors, earning the third place spot for 200 spirit points, while the juniors received 100 points for fourth place. The freshman class beat the seniors with a score of 8-3, giving them 400 points for first place, while the seniors received 300 for second. The freshman class will also receive a Krispy Kreme party for winning.

The freshman class advanced to the final stage of the tournament to play against teachers in the faculty-student match, with the freshman team winning in the first set. However, faculty caught up to the freshmen in the next two sets, giving the faculty a win against the freshmen. 

“While I hope everyone who watched the game [on Thursday] enjoyed watching people in their class play a competitive game of volleyball, I also hope they became more aware of the reason why DECA is doing this,” Trisha said.

A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to the sophomore team as the freshman team in a photo caption. The article has been updated on Nov. 23, 2021 to reflect the correction of this error.

Photo of Katelyn Zhao
Katelyn Zhao, Sports Editor

Katelyn Zhao (11) is the sports editor for Harker Aquila and the Winged Post, and this is her third year on staff. Katelyn hopes to take a lot of photos...

Photo of Ananya Sriram
Ananya Sriram, Co-Features Editor

Ananya Sriram (11) is the co-features editor for Harker Aquila and the Winged Post, and this is her third year on staff. This year, Ananya hopes to diversify...

Photo of Kinnera Mulam
Kinnera Mulam, Co-STEM Editor

Kinnera Mulam (11) is the co-STEM editor for Harker Aquila and the Winged Post, and this is her third year on staff. She loves writing for the Global Reset...

• Harker Spirit Leadership Team officers, some donning dinosaur costumes, discuss Homecoming week activities at yesterdays school meeting. Other topics included Student Directed Showcase announcements, CareerConnect opportunities and Honor Week activities.

School meeting recap: 09/21/22: CareerConnect, Student Directed Showcase and “Guess That Song”

• U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-Wen wave to Taiwanese officials at a press conference in Taipei on Aug. 2. During the conference, Pelosi stated that she was dedicated to supporting Taiwan and promoting further collaboration between the two countries.

Global

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi visits Taiwan, holds press release with President Tsai Ing-Wen

• Divya Venkat (11) explains the goals of Make Our Schools Safe, a nonprofit organization devoted to combating gun violence. “The personalities of the people running the stands [were what drew me in],” Ryder Hewitt (9) said. “I got the vibe of the whole club. When I saw very invested, excited people, it made me more invested in their clubs.

75 clubs share new initiatives at annual Club Fair

• Sahngwie Yim (10) practices speed reading at the  National Speech and Debate opener in Lexington, Kentucky last weekend. Ten upper school students participated in the tournament, with several receiving top awards and bids.

Ten upper school students attend National Speech and Debate Season opener, win several bids and take second place

• Rahul Sundaresan (9) raises a card with the name China during the Model U.N. kickoff yesterday. The kickoff, with over 30 student attendees, included a mock conference about several topics.

Upper school Model U.N. kicks off the school year with mock conference

• A chair leans against the door of upper school English teacher Susanne Salhabs room to act as a barricade during todays campus lockdown. After the lockdown from approximately 5 p.m. to 6:10 p.m., police have cleared the campus of a potential threat.

Upper school activates lockdown, campus “all clear”

• TEDx co-curator Medha Yarlagadda (11) and TEDx Public Relations Director Daniel Lin (11) speak to a parent. The upper school hosted Back to School day yesterday for parents to explore the campus and classes.

Back to School Day offers glimpse of student life

• Research Club officers Brian Chen (12) and Alex Lan (12) introduce the Synopsys Information Session at yesterdays school meeting. The meeting also included information about the Dance Production, a sports recap, and several club announcements.

School meeting recap 9/9/22: Quadchella, Dance Production and emergency drills

• Queen Elizabeth II raises her glass in a toast with President Barack Obama in London in 2011. Elizabeth, the longest reigning monarch in English history, died at 96 years old in Scotland this morning.

BREAKING: Queen Elizabeth II dies at 96 after 70-year reign

• The tables in the orchard sit deserted as students remain indoors to escape the heat on Tuesday afternoon, when temperatures reached over 100 degrees. A record-breaking heat wave on the West Coast raised temperatures to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit at the upper school campus, leading to the cancellation of outdoor activities this week.

Temperatures reach record highs in week-long heat wave, upper school cancels outdoor activities