AP U.S. Government and Politics holds mock primary elections

Irina Malyugina

AP Government student Riva Saksena helps Shray Alag (11) turn in his ballot during fifth period on Monday. Students were able to cast their ballot for presidential candidates from all parties as well as vote on California’s Proposition 13, which regulates funding for education.

by Nicole Tian, Co-Lifestyle Editor

The AP U.S. Government and Politics classes held the 2020 Harker Primary elections on Monday ahead of California primary elections this Tuesday, which allows students of all grades to participate in mock elections that mimicked real life polling stations. 

After setting up in the morning in upper school history and social science teacher Carol Green’s room, students could vote throughout the day. The mock primary elections were monitored by AP Government students, who signed up for shifts during office hours and lunch. Voting also proceeded during Period 5 and 7, though stations were closed during Period 6.

Students were able to cast their ballot for presidential candidates from all parties as well as vote on California’s Proposition 13, which regulates funding for education. Affirmation of this proposition would allow the state to sell general obligation bonds, which are used to fund public projects without profit, in order to back school initiatives. 

If anyone was unfamiliar with the questions on the ballot, AP Government students provided clarifications as well as handed out the ballots along with secrecy folders, which prevented others from looking at the vote. After filling out their answers behind the poll stations, which were separated by dividers, students dropped in their ballots and were offered “I voted” stickers. 

Out of the 282 students who voted, 64 voted for Bernie Sanders, 36 for Elizabeth Warren, 31 for Joe Biden, 25 for Michael Bloomberg, 22 for Andrew Yang, 19 for Pete Buttigieg, 10 for Donald Trump and 14 among eight other candidates.

Irina Malyugina
Jessie Wang (12), adorned in a patriotic hat, turns in his ballot during the mock primaries. The majority of students voted for Bernie Sanders, while Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden trailed behind.

“I voted for Bernie probably because I agree with a lot of his [stances],” Vaishnavi Murari (11) said. “I definitely feel really strongly about health care and gun control and climate change especially because these are some of the most important issues. They’re really big problems that I don’t think we’re doing enough to address.”

For AP Government student Amanda Cheung (12), the mock primaries act as a measure of political awareness among the community, since most students will not be eligible to vote yet. 

“Actually seeing the community doing something that other people in real life do is really cool,” Amanda said. “I hope it gives people the incentive to want to go out and vote in the real world because hopefully it’s interesting to them to see how adults actually function.”