School Meeting Recap 4/8

Kinetic Krew performed at school meeting on Tuesday to preview the upcoming Just Dance showcase, which will be held in the Patil Theater on Friday.

by Eric Fang, News Editor

Avi Gulati (11) began the school meeting on Monday by announcing when the annual Quadchella talent show will take place. The event will be on May 2 and will be held at the Shah patio instead of the quad this year. Because of this, Avi joked that the event would be more appropriately named “Shahchella”. Students are able to sign up at harker.io/quadchella. The deadline for applications is April 22.

Next, Grace Hajjar (11) told students that she meant to do a live interview of track and field captain Mitchell Granados (12). However, because Mitchell had not come to school yet, Arjun Kilaru (12) read Mitchell’s responses from his phone. In his interview, Mitchell expressed pride in how the track and field team performed in the recent Firebird Meet.

English teacher Charles Shuttleworth then announced that there would be new bins placed around campus. These bins would be different from “dry” bins in that they would be exclusively for paper. Any plastics would still go in the “dry” bin.

Aaditya Gulati (9) encouraged students to attend a Pizza and Politics event next Thursday at 4:30 p.m. in Manzanita. The talks will revolve around foreign policy on arm sales and they will be led by Alycia Cary (12), Alexander Young (12) and Nakul Bajaj (11).

After showing a promotional video, Avi Gulati (11) and Nikki Solanki (11) introduced a speech showcase called Speak Up. The event will allow students to listen to some of the speeches, many of which have received awards, given by members of the Harker speech team. It will take place in the Nichols Auditorium from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 18.

Swimmers Cassandra Ruedy (11), Alyssa Huang (11) and Katie Li (10) encouraged students to attend the swimming senior night this Thursday at 4:15 p.m. at the Singh Aquatic Center. They will face off against The King’s Academy.

Robotics team member Arthur Jakobsson (10) updated students on the robotics team’s recent accomplishments.

Matthew Hajjar (12), Arjun, Grace, Zach Hoffman (12), and Chemistry teacher Andrew Irvine informed students that this week is Spirit Week. They then encouraged students to watch the Regatta spirit competition at long lunch on Monday. Participants had to arrive at 12:40 p.m. while the event formally began at 12:50 p.m..They then asked belly flop participants to stand for a round of applause.

Lastly, Vance Hirota (11) encouraged students to come to the dance senior night. Although the event is free, they expressed the need for students to reserve seats beforehand. After, student dancers performed a routine in place of a video to persuade students to come to the senior night event.