Crucial decisions made over Brexit

British Prime Minister Theresa May suffered a defeat with the failure of Brexit, yet is still persistent after narrowly surviving her no-confidence vote. May is closed to talks of taking the deal off the table, and inter-party discussions regarding Britain's future are slated to be held beginning next week.

Alexandros Michalidis (Shutterstock)

by Arushi Saxena, Global Editor

In a vote on Jan. 29, members of the British Parliament were allowed to vote on seven amendments to Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit Plan, while suggesting their own amendments. This vote came following the rejection of May’s original Brexit deal, as well as her surviving a no-confidence vote.

While five of the proposed amendments failed, two passed. The first requires a renegotiation of the border between Ireland and North Ireland, the sole location where there is a border present between UK and the EU. Earlier, May proposed to not have a “hard border,” allowing goods to traverse the border without regular checks. The MPs of May’s Conservative Party do not support a weak break, leading to their dissatisfaction and ultimate push for a full break from the rest of the EU.

The second amendment pushes for a deal to be made with the rest of the European Union prior to the UK leaving. However, this has bred conflict as the EU refuses to strike a new deal.

Currently, the UK is poised to leave the EU on March 29. Should no deal be struck by then, the UK would be forced to leave without any talks or smooth transition.

This story was updated on January 30.

British Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit plan was defeated in a vote of 432-202 on Tuesday, a crushing and historic defeat. Britain was originally set to exit the European Union in 72 days, the future of which is now unclear.

In a letter to May, the Presidents of the EU, Donald Tusk and Jean-Claude Juncker, insisted that they had reached their final Brexit deal, with no possibility of a renegotiation. Following the Tuesday vote was a no-confidence vote schedule by Opposition Leader Jeremy Corbyn for Wednesday which May narrowly survived in a vote 325-306. Later that afternoon, May made a statement that she would continue to push for a re-do of her Brexit plan, prompting Corbyn to declare his boycott of talks until Brexit is on the table.

British markets have felt the implications of the Brexit vote as well, with the FTSE (Financial Times Stock Exchange) was recorded at 29 points lower, and the DAX (Data Analytics Expressions Index) down 42 points.