Partial government shutdown becomes longest in American history

The San Francisco City Hall lit up in the colors of the American flag. Government workers across multiple federal agencies are without pay due to a government shutdown that has lasted 22 days.

Nicole Chen

Nicole Chen

Nicole Chen

by Kathy Fang, Managing Editor

The partial government shutdown has surpassed the record for the longest shutdown in American history, extending into its twenty-second day as the fight over government spending between the president and Congress continues.

According to a press release issued by the House Committee on Appropriations, more than 800,000 federal workers are without pay, missing their first paycheck yesterday, while President Donald Trump refuses to sign any congressional spending bill that does not include funding for a wall on the Mexican border as well as other border security measures.

The federal agencies that are affected include, among many others, the Departments of Transportation, Agriculture, Housing and Urban Development and Justice as well as some federal law enforcement branches, the Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection, some of whose employees are called to work without pay. National parks across the nation have also been closed because funding for park service has also been cut as a part of the shutdown.

In a primetime address broadcast across multiple major news channels last Tuesday night, Trump declared a “humanitarian crisis” on the Southern border, claiming that “illegal immigrants” and drugs flowing across the Mexican border are threats to American lives that merit additional funding for border security, including $5.7 billion dollars for a steel barrier.

Congressional Democrats, namely House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, have denounced Trump’s proposed spending plan. Though multiple bipartisan spending bills have been passed in both houses of Congress only to face opposition from Trump, including an Interior-Environment Appropriations Bill passed yesterday, Trump has blamed congressional Democrats in particular for the government shutdown because of their refusal to fund his border security measures, namely the border wall.

This is a developing story. Check back on Harker Aquila for further updates.