Kick Back with Kushal: Has the NBA finally been freed from the evil Warriors’ clutches?

by Kushal Shah, Columnist

Yes, it’s true—it’s all true. After a long period of silence from supposed “contending” teams, the wicked Warriors of the West have finally released their NBA counterparts as their hostages. However, one matter is yet uncertain. What really incited this good-hearted release? Was it the Warriors’ own internal issues or was it was just the rest of the NBA augmenting their versatility and expanding their talent?

In fact, the once frequent assertion that was maintained throughout last season was that the Western Conference was filled with more talent and effectively, had stronger teams than the Eastern Conference no longer rings true. Right now, the top two teams are from the Eastern Conference: the Toronto Raptors and the Milwaukee Bucks. 

Pullquote Photo

It’s time for the Dubs to dial up the heat and start cooking.”

And to top it all off, the Warriors are not even one of the top five teams in the NBA. Horrifically, the Dubs currently hold the pitiful, undignified sixth seed with an utterly distasteful 12-6 record. Too melodramatic, you say? Let me amicably remind you that we are talking about a team that has reached great heights: four consecutive Finals appearances, a historic record 73-9 season and achieved a two-peat. The same team that has 4 All-Stars (5 if you count Boogie) that are all looking to join the highly coveted, exclusive three-peat club. 

And if they genuinely hope to achieve the three-peat, the Warriors can no longer afford to be the same team as last season until playoffs. They can’t just hope to cruise to the playoffs and flip the switch because the other teams—the Houston Rockets, the Dallas Mavericks, the San Antonio Spurs (all teams the Warriors have lost against), the Los Angeles Lakers—they’re all hungry, and they will fight tooth and nail in the hopes to defeat the Warriors and procure a ring. So, in other words, it’s time for the Dubs to dial up the heat and start cooking.

The other contending teams certainly have. After skidding to a rough start, the Houston Rockets, the LA Lakers and the Oklahoma City Thunder have played with greater intensity in nearly every one of their matchups. The Memphis Grizzlies and the Los Angeles Clippers are also surprises, especially since the Grizzlies fired their head coach, David Fizdale, and the Clippers traded away DeAndre Jordan to the Mavs.

Returning to the Warriors, fortunately, their crisis is occurring at the beginning of the season as opposed to the beginning of the playoffs, so they have quite some time to deliberate their deficiencies and buttress them. Of course, after this, I have absolutely no doubt that the Warriors will once again kidnap the NBA and hold it hostage for years to come. Oh, shoot! I knew I forgot something while ranting! Or rather someone. Oh yeah, Steph Curry, the legend, is still injured — no wonder the Warriors have been losing! Forget I said anything…

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on December 6, 2018.