Sophomores and juniors enjoy ropes course, rafting to start the new year

Irina Malyugina

High up in the treetops, a member of the class of 2021 grips a rope for support during the sophomores’ ropes course trip in the Santa Cruz Mountains on Aug. 23. The classes of 2020 and 2021 participated in off-campus trips on Aug. 23.

by Kathy Fang and Ryan Guan

Juniors whitewater raft

The class of 2020 traveled to OARS American River Output in Coloma, California, for the annual junior class rafting trip on Aug. 23. Students split into groups of six to eight and cruised down the American River, paddling through class one, two and three whitewater rapids. Each boat was led by a rafting instructor who guided the rafters down the river.

Rafters assembled in front of the Rothschild Performing Arts Center at approximately 6:10 a.m. to depart in four buses on a three-hour drive to OARS. They then attended an instructional session before walking down to the river and boarding the rafts.

After the rafting trip, which traversed approximately 12 river miles, the students and junior advisers had a quick dinner before driving back to the upper school campus, arriving at approximately 8 p.m.

Sophomores tackle ropes course

Meanwhile, the class of 2021 kicked off the school year by traveling to the Santa Cruz Mountains to take part in the annual sophomore class ropes course trip.

Participants split into multiple groups; each went to a different location. In the forests there, the sophomores took on various challenges testing their strength, skill and balance. Participants could traverse ropes course elements such as the Giant’s Ladder, a gigantic rope ladder with rungs separated by several feet, and the Leap of Faith off a tall platform, while their advisories cheered them on from below.

As the juniors and sophomores embarked on their class trips off campus, the freshmen enjoyed a field day on Davis Field and seniors  had no events scheduled before matriculation on Aug. 24.

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on Aug. 31, 2018.