Featured books in ReCreate Reading

by Anna Vazhaeparambil, Reporter

ReCreate Reading, the upper school’s summer reading program for rising seniors, juniors and sophomores, will provide students with the option of choosing a book from over sixty titles to discuss in the next school year with classmates and teachers. Lauri Vaughan, the head librarian at the high school, hopes that this program delivers a message to kids that reading, whether it be heady non-fiction or “brain candy,” should be for fun. Featured below are a few of the books to pick from.

Being Enough by Sameep Mangat

In her book, “Being Enough,” senior Sameep Mangat’s unique insights into the life of a teenager, especially the struggles associated with being a high schooler in a highly competitive area of the nation, provide a better understanding about topical issues that affect adolescents. Sameep uses personal stories, statistics and her own personal tips and pieces of advice to address problems like mental health, self esteem and body image. Directed to both students and parents, the book works to close a generation gap and and to break down walls and stigmas by re-defining what it means to be enough.

Die Young with Me by Rob Rufus

Rob Rufus’s memoir, “Die Young with Me,” is a gripping narrative of his struggles battling against a rare form of cancer while also fighting to launch his career in punk rock with his twin brother. Librarian Lauri Vaughan, who sponsored this book with computer science teacher Marina Peregrino, particularly admires the strength of Rufus, who as a teenager was forced to also deal with discrimination from medical professionals due to his spiked hair, piercings and an intense love of punk. Written with humor, honesty and a whole lot of attitude, this story is powerful and inspiring, as he takes all challenges from the disease and from society in stride and uses his music to cope through his recover.

Indivisible: An Anthology of Contemporary South Asian American Poetry edited by Neelanjana Banerjee, Summi Kaipa, and Pireeni Sundaralingam

Indivisible: An Anthology of Contemporary South Asian American Poetry” is an anthology of poems from South Asian immigrants and their descendants that discuss their thoughts on diversity in America and their experiences living in a dual space, surrounded by two very different cultures and ways of life. Ranging in topics from politics to identity to family life, this collection of pieces brings to attention issues and concerns that many of these immigrants have faced, particularly after 9/11. Speech coach Scott Odekirk, who sponsored this work for ReCreate Reading, hopes that students participating can share their thoughts on the different poems and appreciate the “well-delivered words, mastery of figurative language, and emotional expression” found in this anthology to connect with each other and to understand the importance of diversity and citizenship in America.

Replacements: Endless War and the Men Sent to Fight It by Alan Quale

In his novel “Replacements: Endless War and the Men Sent to Fight It,” Alan Quale, a Vietnam veteran, describes his own personal experiences in the war as well as the mistrust and suspicion he received from the American public upon coming home. Math teacher Bradley Stoll, who is sponsoring this book, emphasizes the importance of s hearing and appreciating Quale’s story and learning more about this dark time in U.S. history from a man who faced challenges both on the battlefield and in his own country. This touching narrative, which includes a collection of the author’s letters that he wrote for his family, provides a unique perspective on a war that deeply changed this nation.

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid’s Tale,” by Margaret Atwood, is a dystopian novel that a society without women’s rights. English teacher Jennifer Siraganian, who sponsored this book, acknowledges that although there are both terrifying and darkly humorous aspects of this story, it is an especially powerful and relevant novel that would appeal to anyone. Captivating readers with its dismal speculation on the future of women and the fate of the country, “The Handmaid’s Tale is a cautionary tale that clearly points out the freedom and privileges that people have so easily taken for granted.