Spanish Cultural Night brings celebration of Spanish culture to Harker community

Anthony Xu
Spanish teacher Diana Moss pours rice into a large pan of paella an hour before cultural night starts. During the Spanish celebration, four different types of paella were available for students and faculty to enjoy.
Anthony Xu
Students and faculty members receive food at the start of Spanish Cultural night. Along with the paella, dinner options included chips with guacamole and salsa, chicken tenders and Spanish candy.
Anthony Xu
Meilin Yen (9) sings during the performance section of the night. Other singers included Millie Lin (12) and Sumati Wadhwa (12), with songs ranging from modern pop to classical opera.
Anthony Xu
Spanish teacher Abel Olivas recites his lines in the play “The Poisoned Paella.” He played the waiter in the student-directed comedy performance by his second period A.P. Spanish class.
Anthony Xu
Junior Neil Ramaswamy plays the drums in a group performance of Spanish jazz songs. Others in the group included sophomores Thomas Rainow, William Rainow and Joshua Valluru, along with senior Bobby Schick and the Upper School Tech Help Desk’s Alejandro Osorio.
Anthony Xu
Sophomores Jeffrey Yang, Sejal Krishnan, Anna Miner, Allie Lee and Rani Sheth dance to the Spanish hip hop song “Dura” by Daddy Yankee. “I was really nervous at first but after the first few moments I was able to relax and it became super fun,” Rani said. “I would tell [the people that have never been to cultural night] that they should definitely come. The food is great, the performances are great, and anyone is bound to have a good time regardless of ho advanced their speaking skills are.”
Anthony Xu
Thomas Rainow (10) and Grace Hajjar (10) practice their salsa skills during a preparation round before the salsa dancing competition. The contest was elimination style, and in the end, only three pairs of dancers were left standing.