Starting life as a second semester senior

Meena Gudapati

Krishna Bheda (12) motions to start her car before backing out of her new parking space. With the beginning of the second semester, seniors who requested a parking spot were given one on campus.

by Krishna Bheda, Columnist

My vision was blurred, my legs felt like lead, and the dream I had was way cooler than school. While struggling not to fall back asleep, I mentally scanned through my day under the comfort of my fluffy green sheets and groaned at the thought of entering the brisk morning air. I felt this way until I remembered that that morning was January 16th. That meant that today was the first day of second semester. And that meant I was officially a second semester senior. And that meant today, I would have a parking spot on campus. The minute that thought crossed my mind, I sprung out of bed, and boy did I skrt skrt to school!

I drove to school to find my parking spot glowing like an angel under the sun—and I’m not going to lie, a tear was shed. My car did not have to sit on a sketchy spot on Kiely, I was not sweating when I walked into my first period because I was not running to catch the bell, and my mom wasn’t stressed about my safety.

This was the start of my life as a second-semester senior, and it felt right.  

It has now been about three weeks intoof second semester, and let me tell you, it’s fantastic. I am not stressed about college apps or piles of homework, my car has a home on campus, and I finally have time for myself.

First semester was not like this. The grind was real and I, along with every other student, spent late nights hovering over the computer and every lunch in the library. However, things have changed now.

I find myself making new friends every day. I go out of my way to talk to people that I don’t think I have anything in common with. More often than not, I find that that person and I can find something to connect about. I’ve learned that students are willing to talk me if I’m willing to talk to them. Introducing myself to new people is not as scary as I thought it would be.

I also immerse myself in my hobbies. I jam on my piano and write songs. With this extra time, working on creativity and spending quality time with my thoughts is relaxing.

Lastly, whether it is driving late at night with my friends and screaming along to Bollywood music or hiking a new trail, I try to do one adventurous thing a week.

With every activity, friend, or idea I pursue, I enter it with the intention of courage and fearlessness. Benjamin Mee from “We Bought a Zoo”, says it best;  “You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”

This is the only time in my life where I will be in a place like this. I have four more months of school left and will probably have about four months of summer. As a second semester senior and almost a freshman in college, I intend to make the most of my time and I intend to prepare myself for the real world. To me, that means courage and enjoying the small things, even if it’s just having a parking spot.   

Of course, I hope to be  active and adventurous this semester, but trust me, I will also be in bed, eating Milanos, and binge watching Grey’s Anatomy more than once. Relaxing is always good for the soul!

This piece was originally published in the pages of The Winged Post on February 5, 2018.