News update (Issue 4)

Gloria Zhang

The lunchroom tables were moved to the right side of Manzanita before winter break. The rearrangement was intended to decrease lunchroom congestion during lunch.

by Karina Chen, Jessie Wang, and Gloria Zhang

Manzanita layout reorganized after break to improve cafeteria flow

Head Chef Steve Martin proposed changes of rearranging tables and drink stations and adding new trash cans before winter break in Manzanita.

He and the kitchen staff worked with school administrators and the faculty Green Committee to solve the issues of students not correctly disposing of their trash and of overfilled bins. The first change was to rearrange and acquire more trash cans, which now line the wall next to the used dishes station.

DECA/TALON team wins Herff Jones challenge

The upper school’s joint DECA and TALON team recently won the 2018 Herff Jones Marketing Results Challenge in Houston. Consisting of DECA member Vignesh Panchanatham (12), TALON managing editor Sharon Yan (12) and TALON seniors editor Devanshi Mehta (11), the team created a video reviewing methods to increase yearbook sales on campus.

The team will receive $5,000 to be recognized at the April DECA International Career Development Conference in Atlanta.

Students test linguistics skills in NACLO

The North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad (NACLO) open round was held in the Nichols Rotunda on Jan. 25 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

The competition is an individual annual linguistics test open to all high school students and evaluates logic skills and language processing.

“[The NACLO] is basically a set of linguistics [puzzles] that are problem solving in their basis,” Linguistics Club secretary Andy Semenza (12) said. “They all involve existing languages or constructive languages, and yet language itself isn’t necessarily the focus of them—it’s language as a means of solving interesting problems.”

Amnesty International holds club week

Amnesty International organized a guest lecture and sold donuts, bagels and various other baked goods for their club week last week.

Club members sold baked goods during lunch all week and sold donuts and bagels before school on Tuesday and Thursday. They raised roughly $1,300, all of which will be donated directly to Amnesty International.

On Tuesday, the club invited human rights advocate and CEO of Integrated Archive Systems Amy Rao, who sits on the boards of various organizations such as the Human Rights Watch, V-Day and the 11th Hour Project, to talk about human rights problems and how different organizations move to solve them in Nichols Auditorium during long lunch.

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on February 5, 2018.