Editorial – Issue 4

Three… two… one… “Happy New Year’s!” As 2012 approaches, we would like to propose some New Year’s resolutions for our school community to try out. Here they are, from the light-hearted to the serious:

1. Practice positivity. Each thought is a choice, so why not pick the optimistic thought over the pessimistic one? Here’s one practical, simple idea: each day, before you go to sleep, make a list of ten things you are grateful for. Later looking over notes like “the best inside jokes” or “touchdown!!” will definitely make you smile.

2. Support each other. To be honest, many of us are stressed for great portions of the school year, but let us avoid complete complacency. Maybe once a week, make it a mission to chat with a friend and see how they’re feeling about things. Just remind him or her that you are there for support and a quick, stress-relieving Starbucks run. It can make all the difference to someone feeling the pressure.

3. Stay vigilant. If you see an act of vandalism or suspect someone of vandalism, report it immediately. Don’t worry–if your suspect isn’t guilty, they’ll emerge unscathed and with no hard feelings, because they’ll have read this editorial and understood what needs to be done.

4. This, too, shall pass. Remember that, no matter what stress faces you, time will go on and you will be finished with that paper/college applications/drama/feeling under the weather before long. Keep the grand scale in perspective, and be unafraid to seek help if it seems that “this” will not pass–it’s okay to not know the solutions to every problem.

5. Pride in The Edge. Why not pick up a piece of someone else’s trash after lunch and take it in? Let’s work together to amend our collective faults.

6. Prioritize sleep. It will truly make you happier, healthier, and a better student. You won’t believe it until you see it, so we triple-dog-dare you to.

7. Get to know someone in real life. Funnily enough, we all have that person on our chat list whom we talk to for hours online but never speak to at school. A simple “hi” in the hallway could be the first step to a great, real friendship.

8. Have fun weekends. Life is boring: eat, sleep, study, Facebook. Not! From just painting your nails a bright color to playing a new video game, exert the energy to plan for fun. If you’re really adventurous, browse local event listings online and gather up a few friends for an outing. Effort pays off.

9. Spirit. Drag your feet. Join the crowd for five minutes. Feel the contagion. Rinse and repeat until you find yourself leading a team of crazy people in Spirit Week competitions.

10. Unstick yourself. A wise person once said, “If you feel stuck in one part of your life, change something in a totally different part of your life.” What can you change?

11. Appreciate your seniors. If you’ve been dying to ask a 2012-er for advice, go for it–Facebook stalking them when they’re at college won’t be quite the same. Second semester will fly by, so get on it!

12. Make your own resolutions. Start out by entertaining the notion of “what if.” For example, “What if I wrote an e-mail to President Obama every day until I got an internship?” See which ones strike your fancy, and resolve to do them. You have nothing to lose, so here’s to a new year full of adventure and growth for our entire community.