Prospective clubs for 2018

Eleanor Xiao

Students and faculty visit booths at last year’s Research Symposium in Nichols Atrium. Similarly to this event, the Artificial Intelligence Club plans host a series of workshops and lectures about biology, math, computer science and a variety of other topics.

by Gloria Zhang, Aquila Asst. Features Editor

Power of Words Club (POW)

POW introduces creative writing in the forms of poetry and literature to elementary school students in Boys and Girls Clubs of Silicon Valley by holding workshops.

“I was influenced to help create POW by my own passion for writing. Typically, creative writing is not emphasized in a school environment, and I wanted to help change this,” club officer Lily Wancewicz (11) said. “With POW workshops, students get an opportunity to be exposed to different writing strategies and styles.”

Artificial Intelligence Club

The Artificial Intelligence (AI) Club explores STEM topics, including math, computer science and biology. The club will host a series of workshops and have experienced club members teach new members about AI through hands-on activities and lectures.

“[Artificial intelligence] is an intersection of many different areas: computer science, biology, math and many more. I think it’s really interesting because it involves many different facets of science,” club founder Cynthia Chen (10) said.

Students Partner with Veterans Club

The Students Partner with Veterans Club plans to raise awareness about the obstacles veterans face in society and present Harker students with role models. The club plans on having speakers, assemblies, discussions and events involving veteran associations.

“Growing up in Silicon Valley, I think it’s easy to become absorbed in the bubble of wealth that we live in and forget about the suffering that happens every day and all around us,” club founder Annie Ma (10) said. “Even right outside the gates of Harker there are veterans begging for food and money on the street.”

Learning Ally Audiobook Club

Working with the organization Learning Ally, which makes audio books for visually impaired readers, Learning Ally Audiobook Club focuses on quality-controlling books.

“Club members will choose any book they like from a selection and use audiobook software to listen along and catch any errors made. If enough people are interested, we hope to allow members to review at home and record audiobooks at a studio,” club founder Kyle Li (10) said. “Volunteers will be eligible for volunteering hours from the Learning Ally organization.”

This piece was originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on September 6, 2017.