JV and varsity girls’ volleyball teams score victories against Westmont

Tiffany Shou (12) jumps to hit the ball during the volleyball game against Westmont High School. The girls went on to win the game in three sets.

by Nina Gee, Reporter

Both the JV and Varsity girls’ volleyball teams emerged victorious against Westmont High School at home on Thursday.

After going neck and neck with their opponents, the JV team pulled ahead and won the game in two sets, the respective scores being 25-17 and 25-14.

“[In] our first game we made a few mistakes, but we bounced back eventually,” Allison Jia (10) said. “Of course there’s always stuff we can improve on, but overall I think the girls did a really good job.”

This is their second game in the new gym. For varsity, this is their third game in in the new Athletics Center.

“I think the first match we played we were tripping on the new facilities,” Middle School Athletics Director and varsity coach Theresa Smith said. “It was a little difficult, but we definitely started to get a little more confident.”

The varsity team took the game in three sets with score of 25-22, 25-17 and 25-17.

“I’m really, really proud of our team,” captain Lauren Napier (12) said. “This is the first game where we were able to take it in three sets, which is really strong.”

During the game, the team was experimenting with more plays, such as a rip, which is a short set to the outside hitter.

“I’m really happy with them,” Smith said. “I saw things we were practicing yesterday in the game today.”

The Eagles took the lead early on, and was strong serving throughout the match, including aces from Emily Cheng (10) and Lauren.

They were up 20-19 when the Eagles called a timeout, and then closed out the game with a score of 25-22.

Throughout the second set the eagles once again gained the lead early on due to strong serving and blocks by Tiffany Shou (12).

Harker ended the final set with a score of 25-17, the winning point scored by sophomore Ashley Jazbeck.

Their next game is an away game against Saratoga High School next Tuesday.