DeVos breaks with Trump cabinet in opposing transgender bathroom bill repeal

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Betsy DeVos, Trump’s Secretary of Education, has been particularly controversial for her stances on public education. Her recent and unexpected objection to a repeal of a guideline that protected transgender students’ right to use the bathroom of the gender they identify as came at odds with the position of Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

by Derek Yen, STEM Editor

Betsy DeVos, President Trump’s confirmed pick for Secretary of Education, has been widely criticized by education experts for her lack of experience both in politics and in education. From her suggestion that keeping firearms on school campuses could be necessary “to protect from potential grizzlies” to her claim that historically black colleges and universities are forerunners of “school choice,” DeVos’s statements have attracted rampant controversy.

Compounding these, on Feb. 22, in a move that has surprised politicians on both sides of the aisle, DeVos opposed President Trump’s decision to rescind a federal guideline that allows transgender students to use the school bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity. However, DeVos eventually relented, and the policy was rescinded.

“In order for this policy to be enforced, it had to be enforced by the head of the Department of Education, since it’s an education policy, it’s not justice department,” history teacher Damon Halback said. “In order to enable this enforcement then, [DeVos] had to promote and agree to the policy.”

In a statement released on Feb. 22, DeVos wrote that “we owe all students a commitment to ensure they have access to a learning environment that is free of discrimination, bullying and harassment.”

Additionally, she tweeted that “I consider protecting all students, including #LGBTQ students, not only a key priority for the Department, but for every school in America.”

This incident has suggested a divide in outlook on transgender rights between DeVos and Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who spearheaded the repeal. It is unclear what this may suggest about the future of both transgender rights and DeVos in the Trump administration.

While it may ostensibly seem that DeVos is supportive of the LGBT community given her actions, some are suspicious of her actions’ usefulness.

I feel like I’m still trying to figure out the extent to which I can trust this administration when it comes to LGBT protections,” Abel Olivas, adviser of the Gay-Straight Alliance, said. “I feel like I need more signs from the administration, DeVos included, that they really are looking out for [underrepresented] communities, for the LGBT community for example. So far it looks like they’re not — actions speak louder than words.”

In addition, DeVos’s decision to eventually accede and to not continue resistance could be seen as uncommitted. In the past, cabinet officials who disagreed with the president have held their position and been fired — most recently, former Attorney General Sally Yates.

“In disagreeing, [DeVos] could have forced Trump to fire her and replace her with someone who would enforce the decision, which Trump would have a right to do, and she would have a clear conscience that she stood up for a policy point that she agreed with,” Halback said. “She could have tried to persuade the president more than she did by making such an ultimatum; she chose not to.”

And though DeVos’s statements may seem to be supportive of LGBT rights, her ultimate lack of conviction belies sincerity.

“You can’t say ‘we don’t want to discriminate against a group, but we’re also not going to support them in trying to stand up for themselves or to meet their legitimate needs,’” Olivas said. “So I find it kind of hard to accept that [DeVos]’s being genuine when she says that she really does care about the community and yet can’t help the community.”