Humans of Harker: Lyndsey Mitchell takes on new challenges

%E2%80%9CI+have+always+been+a+pretty+shy+person%2C+so+when+I+volunteered+to+air+guitar+on+stage+in+front+of+the+whole+school%2C+I+really+surprised+myself.+When+I+first+got+called+up%2C+I+was+just+excited+for+Sharks+tickets%2C+but+then+when+I+saw+the+video%2C+my+stomach+dropped+because+I+thought+I+might+have+to+do+that.+Then%2C+as+my+other+contestants+went%2C+I+started+to+think+maybe+I+can+do+this%2C%E2%80%9D+Lyndsey+Mitchell+%2812%29+said.+

Julia Amick

“I have always been a pretty shy person, so when I volunteered to air guitar on stage in front of the whole school, I really surprised myself. When I first got called up, I was just excited for Sharks tickets, but then when I saw the video, my stomach dropped because I thought I might have to do that. Then, as my other contestants went, I started to think maybe I can do this,” Lyndsey Mitchell (12) said.

by Julia Amick, TALON Asst. Photo Editor

For Lyndsey Mitchell, high school serves as an environment where she can try new activities outside her comfort zone and explore her interests. Whether it was joining cheer Freshman year or taking on  captain position on the varsity soccer team, Lyndsey has focused on trying new things throughout her four years of high school.

“Freshman year, [we were] all kind of new, so no one [was] really that much more experienced than you, so it’s nice to have peers that are on the same level as you,” Lyndsey said.

This idea branches out from her strong relationship with her grandmother who has constantly encouraging Lyndsey to focus on herself and not other people’s opinion of her.

“I was named after her, so we have a really close connection. She has always just done what she wants and not care about others,” Lyndsey said. “She motivated me to try all these new things because I am never going to get another chance.”

These factors have also influenced her to grow from being shy to outgoing and willing to take on bigger roles in the community.

“I have always been a pretty shy person, so when I volunteered to air guitar on stage in front of the whole school, I really surprised myself,” Lyndsey said. “When I first got called up, I was just excited for Sharks tickets, but then when I saw the video, my stomach dropped because I thought I might have to do that. Then, as my other contestants went, I started to think maybe I can do this.”

Playing soccer has provided Lyndsey with an environment in which she can grow as a leader and as friend.

“This year in soccer, I have taken on more of a leadership role, and I feel more comfortable helping people out,” she said.

Lyndsey has signed her letter of intent to move onto the next step of her soccer career at Nebraska Wesleyan University in the fall. In the meantime, she hopes to spend as much time as possible with her friends and continuing to live in the moment.
“I am really excited to continue playing soccer and to get to meet the girls on the team,” Lyndsey said.