Sophomore class attends LIFE assembly on diversity

Justin Su

Diversity committee member Mark Janda introduces the assembly to the sophomore class. The assembly was on diversity.

by Justin Su, Asst. Sports Editor

The sophomore class attended a LIFE assembly on diversity after lunch today in Nichols Hall.

The assembly started with history teacher Mark Janda introducing the topic. Then, AP Spanish Language and Culture students, taught by Abel Olivas, demonstrated a salsa dance that the entire class was going to learn.

“It’s awkward, there’s vulnerability, but you keep doing it and it becomes rhythmic, it becomes easier, it becomes fun,” Olivas said. “We tried to sort of mix it up so they were dancing with someone they were not as necessarily as comfortable with so that really kind of symbolizes the discomfort at first with working on diversity issues, which is a different person there, trying to figure out how to be in step with them.”

The entire class soon followed the example of math teacher Lola Muldrew and Fine Arts teacher Pilar Aguero-Esparza, who are each a part of the Diversity Committee, as well as Olivas and his students. The class of 2018 learned basic back-and-forth and side-to-side steps, then moved on to more advanced moves such as doing turns.

AP Spanish students Bobby Schick (10) and Morgan Douglas (10) show their class how to do the dance during the LIFE assembly. The assembly was on diversity.
Justin Su

“I thought it was a really amazing experience, it helped me bond with my fellow classmates,” Jimmy Lin (10) said. “But at the same time it taught me to always be on the lookout for something that might not be in my comfort zone.”

Sophomore Markus Wong had similar thoughts regarding the outcome of the assembly.

“I thought it was really fun that the whole grade could dance,” Markus said. “The one thing that I took away from it would be that life is not about covering up for your mistakes, but about working with other people to make those mistakes not mistakes.”

This diversity assembly was only the first of many more to come, as the committee stresses the importance of educating the students about cultural variety.

“Diversity work is messy, and dancing is messy, but that’s okay. There can be missteps; that’s okay,” Muldrew said. “This is just the beginning of the conversation, we’re not done. We’re starting a conversation and that conversation never ends.”

The next LIFE assembly planned for the class of 2018 is on March 28.