Cum Laude hosts its second Music and Poetry session

On April 20, three members of the Upper School English department, Marc Hufnagl, Alexandra Rosenboom, and Jennifer Siraganian, presented selections of their own poetry and songs as a part of the Cum Laude Lecture Series.

Siraganian, who teaches British Literature, read several of her poems, including a set of three poems about an eventful trip to her homeland of Israel.

“When you have these really intense experiences, use it as material for poems,” she said.

Hufnagl, Department Head, sang three of his own songs and played accompaniment on the guitar. One of his songs, titled “Oh Hamlet,” reflected his feelings about Shakespeare’s famous work.

“Last winter after I finished teaching Hamlet for the I-don’t-know-how-many-th time I realized that Hamlet was a lot like a friend that I just wanted to slap across the face,” he said, laughing.

Rosenboom, who also teaches Grade 10, presented five of her own poems, mostly abstract in nature, that tied in to her view of the world.

“We all make metaphors in our lives,” she said. “We all project ideas onto reality even when there is no meaning to be found.”

Ashley Hejtmanek (12), who is part of Siraganian’s creative writing class, found the event to be successful.

She said, “Attending this was quite thought provoking.”