Students show support for LGBTQ Rights

Showing growing support for the legalization of marriage, students rapidly download and share the symbol of marriage equality. Upper School seniors Laura Pedrotti and Pranav Sharma felt that changing their facebook profile pictures was important for a sense of unity and solidarity in the community.

Turning Facebook chat boxes a slew of red, the trend spread like wildfire, inspiring unity, gaining media coverage, and encouraging new users to follow.

With the recent beginning of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and Proposition 8 trials in front of the Supreme Court, millions of Facebook users have joined a movement to change their profile pictures to red equals signs to show support of marriage equality.

Although many believed that both trials are significant, some students had stronger opinions regarding the Proposition 8 trial because it affected them more. While the side for gay rights contested the passing of Proposition 8 as unconstitutional, opposition asserted that because the majority of Californians voted against marriage equality, the court should acknowledge their views.

A number of students began to show their support by changing their profile pictures, sharing photos, and updating their statuses and captions.

“I changed my profile picture in support because I feel like the whole sea of red really brings across the message about how much support there is, and that a lot of us are unified in this cause,” Laura Pedrotti (12) said. “Then there are so many people doing it; it makes a statement that even the media can’t ignore.”

Laura thinks that much of the opposition students may feel to Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Questioning (LGBTQ) rights is due largely to the influences of others in their lives, such as parents or religious leaders.

Several found the student body and the faculty at the Upper School to be very accepting of homosexuality, given the number of assemblies, speakers, classrooms designated as “safe spaces,” the LGBT club, and the bulletin in Main Hall.

“I find our school to be pretty tolerant, but I’ve definitely met a couple of people who are against keeping gay people ‘equal’ to straight people, particularly with marriage and things like that, even if it’s far from the norm,” Pranav Sharma (12) said.

Many students continue to show their belief in marriage equality by posting encouraging messages and closely following the trials.