Front page update (Issue 7)

Meena Gudapati

Andrew Semenza (11) reads Harker Horizon outside Manzanita during lunch. This issue of the journal, containing student articles and projects, was released on May 8.

Space is infinite for new science magazine

The premier issue of the Upper School’s student-run scientific journal Harker Horizon was released on May 8. The journal consists of student research papers and projects, articles about current scientific issues and topics and interviews with professors.

“Our goal is to spread student research throughout the campus, so we featured a lot of research articles. We included more lay-pieces on a broader discussion of scientific topics,” Harker Horizon Articles Editor Rajiv Movva (11) said.

Annual Senior Showcase performance to be held tomorrow

Conservatory seniors will perform in the annual Senior Showcase tomorrow night at the Mexican Heritage Theater as part of their certificate performances.

A dinner will be held before the concert to honor members of this year’s Conservatory program.

Chess club advances; state of game changes

Courtesy of Harker Chess
Last year’s national team, consisting of members Vignesh Panchanatham (11), Richard Yi (’16), Michael Wang (10), Evan Lohn (’16), Richard Wang (10) and Shaunak Maruvada (10) pose with their awards. This year’s competition will be held in Nashville, and Harker will once again send a delegation to compete in the event.

School protects against phishing outbreak

A phishing program was globally released last week, and students at the Harker School were vulnerable to the hack.

Emails from students were sent out to all their contacts, asking them to open a Google doc. The link came from an unknown server and once it was opened, hackers gained access to the link opener’s Gmail username, password, contacts and other personal information.

Director of Learning, Innovation and Design Diane Main sent out a series of messages following the outbreak to warn students about opening these emails.

“Phishing is usually a programmed hack that one can send out in a mysterious link,” she said.

These pieces were originally published in the pages of the Winged Post on May 11, 2017.