A new perspective on second-hand clothing: students and faculty participate in clothing swap

Grace Hajjar (9) browses through a selection of shirts at speech and debate teacher Marjorie Hazeltine’s clothing swap and exchange session. Students were encouraged to donate any clean and unwanted pieces to the exchange.

by Kathy Fang, Reporter

Students and faculty browsed through a wide variety of second-hand clothing, collected from a drive that spanned three weeks, in Dobbins 209 today during long lunch at a clothing drive hosted by speech and debate teacher Marjorie Hazeltine.

The classroom, temporarily transformed into a boutique, housed various types of clothing, including a peach polka-dot dress, a ruffled maroon sweater and delicate bead earrings. Bright green plants adorned the negative space between the clothing on one of many tables. Empty spaces on the walls were covered in clothes hanging on thumbtacks, and two racks stood in the space in front of the desks.

“I really like setting up the clothes in a really aesthetically pleasing way so that it feels like you’re shopping,” Hazeltine said. “I think it’s also fun to think of it as an alternate economy where nobody is exchanging money—you’re just sharing.”

Clothing swaps also help reduce excessive clothing waste while promoting second-hand clothes.

“I wanted to help out because I think it’s a great cause,” Nikhil Dharmaraj (10) said. “However, there’s not that much clothing that I would personally wear.”

The clothing drive was initially inspired by Hazeltine’s passion for second-hand clothing. With encouragement from students, she decided to try hosting a clothing swap at school.

“I still have some things that I got at clothing swaps,” Hazeltine said. “Some people have hang ups about used clothing, but I mean, just wash it because it doesn’t have to be new to be useful and valuable.”

The clothing swap also helps to dispel the preconception that second-hand clothing is less valuable than store-bought clothing.

“It’s amazing that one person’s trash is another person’s treasure,” Cassandra Ruedy (9) said.

The original clothing swap was to be held on April 14, but to give students and faculty more time to bring in clothes, it was pushed back one week. Because this Friday’s lunch was slightly shorter than last Friday’s, the original time for the clothing swap, the clothing swap may also be open next Monday, April 24, depending on whether or not there are still clothes left, so that students and faculty can have more time to browse through the selection.